Just like everyone else I haven’t kept my New Year Resolutions --- one of which was to start a blog and write it regularly but then I’m not comfortable with deadlines and ultimatums any more so I’ve only got myself to please.
Since I last wrote everything’s been up & down. My daughter caught a bug and gave it to me, so she’s been home and there’s been a lot of comics and watching CBeebies, nice drinks and cuddles and making things til she gets better. That’s been good but kept me from my own stuff. All the same I have managed to clear more junk from the studio and to finish going through my Mum’s stuff. She died almost a year ago now though it seems like yesterday.
When she was dying she was determined to knit a jumper for me. It was too much for her really but she was ever brave and determined and in the end she managed the back, front and half a sleeve and there these sorry bits stayed in a bag until last month. I cannot knit well and neither can my partner, but I found a woman at our local wool shop who would finish it. In truth, poor Mum had got muddly towards the end and was knitting it from odd bits and pieces she had to hand. The jumper is stripy and though there was plenty of wool in some colours there was none left in other colours. This dear woman at the wool shop matched up wool in her shop, unpicked the half sleeve and reknitted in new wool so it would match the other sleeve she had to knit. Two days ago she called to say it was ready.
Its so lovely to have this jumper my Mum worked and struggled so hard to make and to be able to wear it and so lovely that this other woman took such care. I was really touched by all the love and generosity in that one garment. It has gone some way in re-establishing my faith in other people.
No comments:
Post a Comment