Sometimes I feel as if I am living inside a web; a spider's web with me as the hunted and trapped fly.
This morning I had a phone call from the JobCentre to talk to me about my ESA appeal. The person I spoke to was pleasant, helpful, charming. He was trying to do his best whilst employed within a system which isn't working and is not 'person-centred' but 'finance-centred'. It doesn't matter that he seemed to genuinely care about what I told him about my condition and my ability, or inability, to work: he was obliged to spout the mantra about how the old system was based around what you couldn't do and the new system is about what you can do: blah blah blah.
I can do quite a lot of things. Even the brain fog and cognitive difficulties associated with M.E. don't mean I'm stupid. The point is, as I keep on saying, is that whatever I can do, I cannot do it for very long and I have to have frequent rests: otherwise I come to a complete standstill and relapse; become bed bound. This way of being isn't conducive to finding or keeping most jobs.
I can do quite a lot of things. Even the brain fog and cognitive difficulties associated with M.E. don't mean I'm stupid. The point is, as I keep on saying, is that whatever I can do, I cannot do it for very long and I have to have frequent rests: otherwise I come to a complete standstill and relapse; become bed bound. This way of being isn't conducive to finding or keeping most jobs.
During the conversation, the JobCentre employee went through all the documents I (or DIAL) had sent in support of my appeal. It turns out that DIAL have forgotten to said all the supporting evidence that I worked so hard to get together before Christmas. It's all still in DIAL's filing cabinet. I was also told, again, that probably the most important document the DWP could receive would be the letter from my GP supporting the reasons for my appeal. There is no such letter. The only document from my GP is a hastily completed, scrappy questionnaire where he has deigned to write five word answers and for which he charged me over £40. So I am trapped between an unsupportive GP, a benefits advice support service which is telling me one thing and doing another and a government body which doesn't see me as a person but as a target figure.
Everybody seems to be having a say in how I am, what I should do, how I should act and what's best for me....except me....and I feel powerless to change it because everybody else is in charge. Ultimately, of course, I am in charge of myself but my health, the 'bastard illness', always has the upper hand and yanks on the lines of sticky thread in the web, preventing me from actioning the feelings of frustration, anger, 'I'll show you' and making me feel miserable as well as ill.
What would it take for someone to listen to what I am saying ? This has been my experience almost my whole adult life. First it took nearly 30 years for someone to listen and believe I was physically ill instead of depressed or anxious or lazy. Now I have a doctor who believes I am ill (even though he will not agree with me on the exact diagnosis) but I have another group who believes I am still well enough to work at least 16 hours a week.
I know that this whole situation is bringing all sorts of old feelings to the surface. I don't know what to do with them. I have tried everything I know, over the past 40 years, to resolve these difficulties with my health and to be 'normal'. At this age, I know that the way I feel physically is just the way I am. I am not able-bodied.
I know that this whole situation is bringing all sorts of old feelings to the surface. I don't know what to do with them. I have tried everything I know, over the past 40 years, to resolve these difficulties with my health and to be 'normal'. At this age, I know that the way I feel physically is just the way I am. I am not able-bodied.
I am very strong mentally and emotionally so I have to deal with physical weakness and try to make a life for myself but I also feel like I am being made to look a fool when I know I am not a fool.
I feel like a fly in a very sticky web and I know there are many more people out there like me. If only we could really rise up and make our tormentors see sense.

13 comments:
Cusp, yes, what will it take for people to listen?
I'm not optimistic about this. It'll either be your occasional good luck or a change in society's values and I'm not holding my breath on the latter.
Sending best wishes, take care
Adam
Very sorry to hear this is happening to you, but not, sadly, surprised. This is going on across the length and breadth of the country. Hope you have at least a few good people around you. Don't get too isolated, whatever you do.
So sorry to hear about all this crap you are going through, Cusp. It isn't right, it isn't fair and I wish those government ministers, think tank people and ignorant tabloid journalists would open their eyes for once and see that 'disability' doesn't mean an otherwise well person with a limp or a bit of back pain.
I wish you well in your dealings with these people and a successful appeal in your favour.
This really saddens me. I can't imagine the strength you would need to deal with this. I did get a hint of your strength from your blog Cusp, may that carry you through. I hope you have a win.
love Mel xxxx
After some initial paltry attempts, my way of dealing with this was simply not to pursue it. I can only imagine what it all costs you in terms of strength and emotional wellbeing.
I echo what Digi says and wish you a better outcome.
Thanks all...and lovely to see you round these parts IShould... :O).. SO far from the Longbridge Road !
It is estimated that it will probably be June before appeal goes to tribunal and DIAL have said that my chances of success are akin to a snowball's in hell. In the meantime its still best to go for appeal because at least then I am getting basic ESA and not left with nothing at all: which is where I'll be without ESA.
Thank God I am strong emotionally and do have people around me. I pity the poor souls who have no-one and nothing and/or are really, really ill and severe (not that I havent been in the past and not that I'm not afraid that's where working 16+ hours pw will send me)
This whole system that is being introduced goes against everything I stand for emotionally, spiritually and politically. My whole ethos is about genuine encouragement and enabling (which is what I tried to do when I was working with disadvantaged and vulnerable people). This new system seems to be purporting to carry that same ethos but in fact is stats. and finance led and not person-centred at all.
If they really wanted disabled and vulnerable people to get back to work then there would be a system that assessed properly and fairly and one which addressed people's issues appropriately so that, if they wished to/were able to, they could go back into employment within their capabilities and without fear of retribution and destitution
Hi Cusp, sorry this is still so much struggle and stress. Can't believe that DIAL forgot to send the paperwork in, that doesn't help at all.
Thinking of you,
Alex
There are so many people caught in this web with you. It's all so wrong. I know from the news that people are speaking out against these reviews and cuts, so I do hope that there is hope that things will ease off. Is there any agency collecting people's stories? I wonder if you would feel just a little bit more empowered if you could send in your story to add to the groundswell of opposition and to the ringing rational voices. You write very well.
I do hope that the stuff Dial forgot can be added to your file. Ineptitude is adding another layer of stress to this. If there is anything else to add later on, I suppose it would be good to call and call again to make sure everything has been submitted. This system must need a lot of babysitting. Oh, I wish you some bit of calm and the energy to follow this through.
I am glad you are not alone. I wonder if there is any additional support you coud get with all the feelings this is bringing up. Is there any sort of support group or counselor that is no or low cost that you could access? I am concerned about the weight of this on you. Glad that you got some of it out here. We hear you! You are not able-bodied, you are not well enough to work, you are not lazy, you are a fighter and you are ill and you deserve governtment support.
Love to you, Cusp.
i got here i think . hello cusp . so nice to hear from you . excellent blog too .i realy empathise right in there with you . different circumstances but exactly those feelings you described rising. I feel fragile and lacking confidence , attacked and beaten .i'm even weepy and i don't do that . bloody words from others getting through my carefully constructed defence .So as the wounded shall we put an arm about each other and share the stars as we look upwards and onwards . heres my shoulder mate
Cusp, this is awful, but as someone else said, so tragically common. I can't believe the attitudes, ethos and policies are part of modern day Britain. Well, i suppose i can, unfortunately.
You are totally correct in all that you know, say and understand about your condition, how could someone who speaks so eloquently be otherwise? You ARE strong and WILL see this through, but i hear you in your quest to be believed and supported, it is something I, and I'm sure many others completely understand.
Let us have their addresses Cusp, there'll be some bananas in exhaust pipes and gnomes nicked!
Love n best wishes Cuspie,
Zarla
I am sorry you have to keep fighting the system. I send good thoughts and vibes.
xxx.
I know I'm way behind in commenting. My apologies. I hate that you are having to go through this. And unfortunately I have nothing to offer. I don't know the answer ... if there is one.
I hope that you get a miracle somehow and all of this craziness gets worked out to your benefit.
I totally understand how you can feel like you have no control.
Sending you hugs, prayers and my love.
Hang in there..
Dear Cusp, it takes such strength to cope with a life shaped by M.E., and a lot of people who suffer from it keep going/keep up their spirits against all obstacles. When a doctor does take time and listens and tries to help it feels like such a gift - it should be the norm! Best wishes to you for easier times!
Post a Comment