Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Any port in a storm

M.E. Haiku

Fly in a glass jar

Always looking at the world
E'er at one remove


I decided not to bother with the test. As it turned out my computer went wrong and then the printer; meaning that first I couldn't receive the email with the order form and then when I could I couldn't print it off. Sometimes these things are meant to be.

In the meantime, other people had ordered, received and taken their tests
and many had ordered two so that they could take one and give the other to their 'control' who was healthy. Often the results came out exactly the same e.g. the woman who is severely affected and her husband who is a mad-fit sportsman who can cycle 100 miles in a day. I thought 'I shan't bother' --- mind you that's becoming a running theme at the moment if I'm not careful: too many hills to climb.

On the bright side I've saved myself €15/£13. Also, there is still interesting research and talk about possible connections between M.E. (and other conditions) and the state of the intestinal flora. You might like to have a look at this and this if that's your bag.

I might try to get hold of the recommended probiotics and see if it helps: any port in a storm.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Hi Cusp,
Thought you might be interested to hear that when I saw my CFS specialist last week he was talking about the urine test and the intestinal flora stuff too. We have started a 6 week "regimen" to treat the flora situation + deal with the fact that I have a "leaky" bowel. It is:
1. erythromycin (antibiotic: 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off,2 weeks on again)
2. pancreatic enzymes
3. mylanta to increase the pH of the small intestine
4. lactulose.
Apparently research has shown that when the infective intestinal flora are knocked out, the E.coli levels (good guys) are able to return to normal of their own accord, AND even more importantly, this effect has been found to persist 6 months post treatment.

So anyway, I am on day 4 of the antibiotics and am feeling surprisingly good (fingers crossed - usually I feel disgusting on antibiotics and will only take them when I'm at death's door). Will let you know how it goes.
Take care!

Cusp said...

Blimey, I wish we had such enlightened doctors here. Went to see mine this week --- first time in 6 months since there's nothing really left to say really. Hoping he'd be interested in some of the new research but he just 'poo-pooed' it and offered me Sertraline ( SSRI anti-depresant) again 'because it's al we've got..' according to him.

rachelcreative said...

I had thought if I ordered the test I would get one for me and one for the husband as a healthy control. Instead I might just donate what I didn't spend on a test to www.justforquid.com

Kahless said...

Indeedeee; any port in a storm.

But also you must choose your fights; a phrase I am sure you know well.

Take care Cusp.
xx.

Cusp said...

Good idea Rachel and good to see you over here.

Likewise Kahless. Yes you do have to pick your fights and this fight (with M.E.) is one long bloody struggle. I will try and get hold of some of the probiotics mentioned and I'm STILL debating the whole Sertraline issue. At the moment I'm lost as to what to do because nothing seems to help really.