Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Hector

On Sunday my daughter found this tiny bird……..there was no nest nearby we could pop him back into and so we took him inside and tried to keep him alive.

Sadly he died yesterday (Monday afternoon) despite out best efforts. We called him Hector and I’ve buried him in the garden.

Watching this poor little mite fighting for life really made me aware again of the fragility of existence. The past ten years have seen me witness the birth of two children, countless animals and the deaths of many people I love and care about.

Watching this little fella on his cotton wool in a plastic berry box reminded me of watching one of our children in the intensive care baby unit after birth…..lying on some stuff similar to cotton wool and inside a clear plastic crib.

For me its been a too busy period and I have caught a virus which is making feel decidely shaky. The slightest bug can make my keel very uneven with the wretched CFS always running in the background. However, seeing Hector struggle to survive and trying to help him reminds me how I have to keep on trying even when I feel like giving up.

1 comment:

Karen Smithey said...

Oh, these little critters just break your heart, don't they? We've had some animal deaths at our house recently, and they're hard to shake...

You asked about my etsy shop--it's at

www.ksmithey.etsy.com

and I can ship anywhere...

What kind of dog is Tiffin?