Sunday, June 26, 2005

New life blossoms and nourishes


Partner and children have gone away for a few days. I was to have gone too but the holiday was booked before we had Tiffin and none of us had the heart to leave him in kennels or with someone else whilst we all went away. It’s only 5 weeks since his original owner died and the poor old dog would’ve wondered what on earth was happening if we all disappeared.

As it is, it has been quite nice to be alone with Tiffin. At first it was hard to let the children and partner go; especially when my daughter howled as the train left and wanted me to come too, but Tiffin and I have gotten along really well and I’ve discovered that he likes a cup of tea (one sugar).

Yesterday I was weeding a bit of the back garden and then went to do something with the chickens. Normally I am only with the chickens for a few minutes --- with Tiffin on the other side of the fence ---but yesterday I was longer. Tiffin got rather cross and seemed to feel left out – like when a child feels you’ve spent too much time and attention on a sibling. He let go one of his lovely barks –it’s not yappy but a sort of questioning, throaty ‘wrooafff !’ He looked through the slats of the fence so pleadingly.

Later I was sitting on the bench under the apple trees with Tiffin having a cup of tea. I noticed that the rose bush we planted above the grave of our first dog, Dory, had come into bloom.

As one life ends another begins.

Dory nourishes the rose and Tiffin nourishes me.

4 comments:

Amy said...

What a beautiful dog! And I love the way you describe him..the pictures are just adorable!

Amanda said...

I wanted to thank-you for your lovely comment on my blog and could not work out where to email you. I am amazed that we have so much in common - if you tell me your partner's name is Ian I will faint! I can certainly relate to starting things and having to pull out, and it can get pretty demoralizing - you just feel like not trying any more, but in the end my desire to "make" always wins and I give it another go. I hope you will feel like trying something fun again soon - you will know when it is worth having another go.
Thank-you for the info about Jo Spence. I remember hearing about a photographer who documented her experiences with terminal cancer, but I had forgotten her name.
Your "new" dog looks gorgeous - whippets have such beautiful natures. I am sure he will be a wonderful companion for you. Take care. Warmly,
Amanda

Anna MR said...

Ah, Cusp, he is adorable. Love the look in his eyes - my Miss Dogot has a similar question written in hers. I think it may be "do you love me, will you leave me?" - which is heartbreaking.

Hope you've had a lovely Christmas so far, and that the trend continues.

xxx

Cusp said...

Thanks Anna. Yes he is a dear --he's quite naughty too sometimes now he's realy settled in though. Last week we all went out for 1 hour and he was not impressed: found the chocolate upstairs and helped himself to half a bar of milk chocolate, a bag of chocolate coins and then left 'a message of protest' on my son's rug ! Naughty boy ;-)