It was curious because in this house, through the trials and tribulations of births, illnesses and deaths old Theresa has made herself quite felt as a presence. I've no idea how it started. I did go through a phase of buying religious statuary just because I love the imagery and because there was a funny shop that imported stuff from French and Belgian flea markets and somehow, in the darkest days, these things spoke to me. One I bought was, I thought, of Our Lady and it was only when I got home I realised that the bottom of the statue/buts was covered in roses. It was a bust of St Theresa of the Roses from France. She lived at the end of the 19th century and was quite a tough cookie in her way.
I cannot stand organised religion but I am quietly spiritual and whatever the beliefs I find a certain stillness and something to admire in this woman.
I sent off the email to 6 people as instructed. Not one has responded. Either they don't care, they don't like anything religious or the Subject line 'St Theresa's Prayer' has sent the message straight into the spam tray.
For myself I am pleased that my friend sent me the message and I have been reminded of the prayer.

St. Theresa's Prayer
May today there be peace within.
May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be content.
Let this presence settle into your bones,
and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.
It is there for each and every one of you.
6 comments:
Nothing that one would want to argue with there - except, perhaps, the curmudgeonly part of me that says I'm not exactly where I'm meant to be. In the grand scheme of things, though, I'll consider the possibility. I did read about St. Theresa many years ago and she does sound rather extraordinary.
I don't feel quite right about burying Joseph in the front garden. But perhaps he's ok with it.
Poor old Jo. I'm sure if he's any kind of proper saint he won't mind a few weeks in the dark upside down if it helps you to move.
This is beautiful. I am not one for organized religion either. My only religion is an all-encompassing LOVE for life...and death, good and evil, joy and sorrow. All opposites and yet perfect together...cannot have one without the other. The moment we call ourselves one faith or another, it appears we have somehow divided humanity into those who are like "me" and those who are not. I think the differences in people is what makes humanity the most interesting, and, yet, the similarities, the universal feelings (love, joy, pain, etc)we all have is what makes us one big family, albeit a family that has trouble getting along. One thing remains the same: we all want to be loved and cared for by others.
St Theresa's expression is beautiful, by the way. Lovely image and worth sharing.
Dear Ana,
I love these sort of images too; don't know why really but I find them very comforting. I think I must be harbouring some sort of latent Catholicism ! I've always loved them and everyone I've ever been out with (or married !) has been Catholic --- without me knowing in advance.
Incidentally, do you ever sell any of your beautiful work ? That too has a very ethereal, spiritual quality; rather Symbolist like Moreau or Redon.
It's funny you should ask about my work since I used to work for a Catholic organization! I painted lots of Madonna's and Child, Jesus, Saints, etc. It got to a point where I was so burned out on painting religious oriented images all of the time, that I stopped freelancing. I am fortunate enough these days to have a husband who supports me financially, so I don't need to sell my art and I'm much too introverted to get myself out there in galleries and the like.
Thank you for asking.
Nice prayer. Sunny morning.
J just phoned to say the Matron from the nursing home will go to assess Dad at the hospital tomorrow morning at 9. He may be moved as soon as Wednesday.
Post a Comment