Sunday, September 09, 2007

The party's over.......

Well, the good news is that I'm back on a more even keel. The dip has passed. With a lot of rest and a visit to my loyal Reiki healer, I got to the party yesterday and it was a real treat. The party was a joint 'do' between 4 friends to celebrate their 50th and 60th birthdays. They were able to share the event easily because they all live at Old Hall in East Bergholt which is one of the longest running, if not the longest running Communes in England. The Hall used to be a monastery --- indeed I remember when it was a monastery in the 60s. I have been 'around' the place most of my life and have several friends who live there. It's an interesting way to live which requires commitment, patience and an ability to give and receive easily.

The party (which flowed on all day) was a joy and, as well as meeting up with my friend who lives there, I met lots of old colleagues from work. That was a mixed blessing: it was really lovely to see them and great to feel part of something again...to kind of regain my place in our little gang again and talk about mutual interests. We are all involved, or have been involved in the Arts and some form of social work (to us the phrase loosely). It's an easy flow of interests and conversation . The blessing was only mixed because it reminded me of what I have missed so much whilst being stuck at home for 7 years.....the banter, the in-jokes, the putting to rights of the woes of the world, ....just the length of time we've all known each other and the interwoven nature of our lives.

We got there about 2 and left about 5. I couldn't do any more. Today, I'm left with some lovely new memories and a kind of sad winsomeness for more of the same. However,the renewed contact with old friends has led to invitations to more get-togethers and lunch and private views, so if I can pace myself and make the effort I hope to to lose touch again.

The bad news is that I am in a battle with my pension plan company who want me to meet with a doctor who is the devil incarnate when it comes to attitudes to and treatment of people with M.E. If I refuse I'm afraid they'll refuse to go on paying my premiums. If I accept their cordial 'invitation' I'm afraid the stress and upset will make me more ill for a while. This is a man who, amongst other things, lists one of his expertise as 'malingering at work' and has interests in an organisation involved with the Insurance business which says they belive that 'M.E. is the new banner word for neurosis'.....nice !

Anyway, as ever, life's a mixed bag but for now I had a lovely time yesterday and the sun is shining so I shall forget Doctor Evil and enjoy the day,

6 comments:

Kahless said...

I am glad that you made it to the party and had a good time. And maybe meet up with some of the again soon.

Can't you not move from Doctor Evils practice to another one?

Cusp said...

Oh I'm not with his practice--- he's the Dr. that Pensions Company employs to interrogate PWME in order to try and prove that we're all malingerers and psychological basket cases -- rather than people who have a neurological condition. The whole thing is a nest of vipers, sadly

Reading the Signs said...

Too knackered right now to say much more than Good Luck. And: Go With Attitude.

Kahless said...

Basically he is employed to intimidate you?

Good Luck and don't let the ******* wear your down!

Michelle Strausbaugh said...

That's really cool you got to go to the party. I'm so happy for you.

But that really sucks about the insurance company. They are evil evil evil.

At least when Social Security sent me to a psychologist for my benefits case, it turned out to be the best evidence in favor of my being physically sick.

But then, the doctor I saw probably was actually truly evaluating cases rather than trying to fit each case to a preconceived notion.

Evil evil evil, I tell you...not like I need to tell you. :)

Cusp said...

Yep. It really does feel like a conspiracy for reasons to do wholly with money. I am just ploughing on now and trying to get on with my life whilst all this ghastly stuff bubbles away in the background.