- fine weather, supposedly sufficient energy to accomplish proposed task
- everything ready for blast off
- finally The Fates, the weather and Sodding Condition will allow us to offload all our old tat on to various poor suckers in exchange for scheckels
....sorry, I mean the general populace of Mid Suffolk will be able to avail themselves of the rare opportunity to purchase some fine examples of literature, Fine Arts,objects d'arts and haute couture which, hitherto, have adorned and delighted the Cusp Household i.e. we're doing a Boot Sale.
Now, Cusp is not unknown to visit Boot Sales when the weather is fine and curiosity gets the better of lack of real vim. However, this is usually in the role of consumer and so tis a rare day when I can bring myself to get up early, herd children, dog, table, 'float' ( a professional Booter's term for any old loose change that's hanging around) and partner in to the car and make the 6 mile journey to a field where all manner of hoi polloi buy and sell, trade and haggle under the misguided illusion that they are exchanging gems of history or unspoken treasure that appear to be worthless and yet are surely priceless.
If not obvious tat then everything else at a Boot Sale is 'very old', 'rare', 'a bargin'.
I fall under the spell myself. Who doesn't ? In my case I usually fall for the obviously totally broken and worthless but that which has a certain cache and thus bewitches with its charm.
Last time I came home with 6 tarnished brass buttons and a very small china doll with one arm and one leg wearing an expression that looked as though she had just farted.
Yesterday of course was different:we were on the offensive and loaded with items so obviously glorious that we were going to return home with nothing more than empty boxes and a wad of cash.
Yesterday of course was different:we were on the offensive and loaded with items so obviously glorious that we were going to return home with nothing more than empty boxes and a wad of cash.
What I like and can never get over is the range of people Boot Sales attract.
Yesterday saw young and old, black, white, brown, Chinese, Polish, Czech, French, gay, straight, posh, chav, bright, dim, focused, loony, elegant, slovenly etc. etc. There was a woman dressed in black as if for dressage, a woman who had obviously not always been so, a lovely couple who were as camp as a row of tents (and bought something), a sweet Polish family with a little girl who got the better of me so I found myself letting a toy go for £3 when it was easily worth £5.
There was a grown man who haggled over jewellery like a child:
All human life was there and all strolling past our wares. Of course we had a novel trick and attraction because we stuck our dear old dog in the back of the car (estate) on his blanket with his chew and bowl of tea (one sugar) and once 'They' approached to stroke and coo (because everyone does) we'd got 'em in our clutches.'You gave that other man a discount for that little car. Why won't you give me one
?......'
'Because you're buying jewellery and there's nothing the matter with it and it's
worth a bit. That little truck was well used and had no doors.''Can I have this ring for 75p then ? I haven't got anymore '
'Sorry, no'
'How about a £1 then'...says the same man, withdrawing a magical wad of tenners from a grimey pocket. The same man who didn't have anymore to give me than 75p two moments ago
I love the mix of odd sights and sounds. Love the banter and chat. It brings out all my old people skills and the way I can talk to almost anyone --- like I used to at work, when I was a real person; before I was shut in my kennel and offered tidbits by kindly hands like the dog.
'How much ?'
'75p ? It's new, never been worn'
'I'll give you 20' --- with a sneer
'Sorry' and she throws it down as if it's a rag.
Some items that stroll away with a new owner matter not a jot to me but there are others that are painful to watch as they leave in another's hand: a brooch that was my mother's; a book that my daughter loved (but we can't keep everything, so it's one that was no.6 in her personal charts and we've kept no.'s 1 &2 in the loft)
Still, all in all it was a good day. The dog was patted and petted to within an inch of his doggy life, the children each made about £7 on their stalls ( separate tables to avoid squabbles) and we made £35 profit after we had paid for our pitch ....and we have more space under the stairs.
And, oh yes, I did have a little wander and I did find another 'treasure.'
It's a cardboard box full of bits of old camera. I cannot identify what type of camera, its age or whether the various bits and pieces go together but it cost me £3 (down form £4) and I love it.
Quick...make more room under the stairs.
5 comments:
So basically you shuffle your bric-a-brac with the other car booters?
:-)
Actually I remember as a kid going down Roots Hall a few times selling stuff at the car boot sale.
LOL, hope you have a BIG cupboard under the stairs! ;-)
We're currently clearing my parents flat... So been over 4 times in the last week, am shattered. So much stuff to sort - we're kind of thinking of self storage until we can get ourselves straight, but it's not cheap. So prob will just have to live in a house we can barely move around in until the lawyer gets his act together and we get Probate (and Inheritance Tax was due at the end of March so we're paying interest on however much it is which we don't know yet - what a nightmare!).
Am thinking of those folks demonstrating outside the RSM and hoping they are having better weather than us!
Hugs from Liverpool
Yep Kahless that's about the size of it. It's like charity shops: the same old junk just goes round and round until it wears out and goes for retirement at the tip.
Maggie --- lovely to see you here. Gawd I feel for you with your task. Been there, done that four times in the last 12 years and got the T shirt.
The last time, when my Mum died 4 years ago, the only way to tackle the task was to move into her flat and stay there while I did it. I had to sleep in her bed (which was weird) and use all her stuff but it was the only way it was achievable -- meant I didn't have to drive the 40 miles between her place and ours and when I was exhausted I just went to bed.
Thankfully,I only had a one bed flat to clear rather than the 4 bed house she had lived in previously. All the clearing and the Probate stuff is exhausting physically and emotionally but it's great when it's finished ;-))
Yep I agree about the RSM protest. The weather here has been mild and quite sunny so I hope it has been OK in London too. I wonder if they'll get any media coverage ? Hope so.
Take care x
Cusp, I have never been to car boot sale but I sometimes I find myself watching those Cash In The Attic type programmes on TV and I'm amazed at the things that people will buy, like teddy shaped teapots and Shakin' Stevens Greatest Hits on vinyl, all sorts of things that I would be tempted to put in the bin.
If you can make a few quid, then why not? Seems to be quite a fun thing to do, too.
Hi Digi. Yes it is fun really. There's loads of junk but if it's nice weather my daughter loves nothing better than being given £2 and being let loose on 'treasure. I've even taught her to haggle and she's only 9. LOL
Post a Comment