Sunday, May 25, 2008

Frida Boccara - Un Jour, Un Enfant

Following my present infatuation with this lady's voice I came across this:
Frida singing France's entry for the 1969 Eurovision Song Contest.
With the latest Contest (should I say fiasco !) over last night, it seems timely to remind ourselves that, for all its faults, the Contest has resulted in some great popular songs like this one.
Having said that, there was always controversy and farce: this song came first place but tied with UK (Lulu's Boom bang-a-bl**dy-bang) and the Spanish and Dutch entries

The words to this song are sentimental but if you're in that frame of mind, they are rather sweet and somehow very french:

Un jour, un enfant
Un jour se lèvera sur trois branches de lilas
Qu'un enfant regardera comme un livre d'images
Le monde autour de lui sera vide, et c'est ainsi
Qu'il inventera la vie à sa première page page

En dessinant la forme d'une orange
Il donnera au ciel son premier soleil
En dessinant l'oiseau, il inventera la fleur
En cherchant le bruit de l'eau, il entendra le cri du cœur

En dessinant les branches d'une étoile
Il trouvera, l'enfant, le chemin des grands
Des grands qui ont gardé un regard émerveillé
Pour les fruits de chaque jour et pour les roses de l'amour

My rather rough 'liberal' translation:

A day will dawn upon three branches of lilac
When a child will watch, like a picture book,
The world around him that is empty, and it will be like this:
he'll invent life on his first page

Drawing the shape of an orange
He'll give the sky its first sun
Drawing the bird, he'll invent the flower
Searching for the sound of water, he'll hear the heartfelt cry

Drawing the rays of a star
The child will find the way of grown-ups;
Grown-ups who have kept their sense of wonder
For the everyday --- like fruit
and for the roses of love


Ahhhhhhhh ;-)



3 comments:

Reading the Signs said...

I'd love to say something in defence of Boom bang-a-bl**dy bang but really - there's no contest is there? And makes me think what a lot of c**p one listens to now. I mean "Kisses For Me" - there was a song! (pass me the tranquillisers).

But this is lovely, and I didn't remember it.

Kahless said...

I kind of miss the days of Abba and Bucks Fizz!!!!!!!

(I can't believe I just said that)

seahorse said...

Sniff, that did make me go all sentimental. And she's still great! I really like her voice.