Right gang, enough with the old moans and groans: time for something REALLY grim to moan about.
This is one of the most vile, bizarre 80s concoctions I can think of: a scottish woman dressed up like a cross between a tupperware-party-touting housewife and a geisha singing a song about a Japanese Boy in a nasal, vaguely Celtic accent whilst encapsulating almost every cliche about Japan you can think of....eventhe melody seems to have been written on all the blacknotes by a ten year old on one of those Bontempi organs for kiddies.
Can you tell I don't like it ?
You couldn't even dance to it as evidenced by all the nice neat couples SITTING DOWN as she warbles on.
Can't remember if she did another song after this travesty. Maybe she had a string of hits: Japanese Boy, Australasian Boy, Tyrolian Boy, French Boy, Dirty Boy, Naughty Boy...same song wit tweaked arrangement and she changed her costume and put in the odd national cliche on the backing track --- didgereedoo, alpine horn, accordian, damp flannel, sharp slap on the wrist.
Do you think she bought that indoor areial on her head from Argos ?
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Dreadful songs No. 6: Aneka - Japanese boy 1981
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Cuspy, How could you even dare to bring this song back into my head? She's like nails on a blackboard.
You're right dear she is like nails on a blackboard or a knife round a saucepan but how dare I ??! Think you must bear a little responsibiliy --- after all she is from your neck of the woods and if you had any sympathy for the ears of us poor wee sasanacks you would have headed her off at the pass and kept her in your own backyard! ;0)
You're right dear she is like nails on a blackboard or a knife round a saucepan but how dare I ??! Think you must bear a little responsibiliy --- after all she is from your neck of the woods and if you had any sympathy for the ears of us poor wee sasanacks you would have headed her off at the pass and kept her in your own backyard! ;0)
Oh yes, I remember this one all right! Who bought these records? That one and Shut Uppa Your Face were both hits that year. Scary that even Captain Sensible had a number one with Happy Talk although there was a sense of irony in there (if you look hard enough). And don't even mention Rene & Renata ...
I remember this!!
Wow. isnt it strange what the memory holds!
Cuspie, you've done it again - picked a song I actually liked! But I would never have admitted it, so look what you've gone and made me do.
and Digi - I bought copies of Shutuppa Your Face as presents for people in Bethnal Green Market.
Oh, yer evil. I made it to the 56 second mark.
Well I did better than Domino...I made it 1 minute 4 secs. Until the chorus I wasn't sure it was a hit here but then my memory kicked in. As for Shaddupa Your Face, I thought Joe Dolce was an Aussie, but according to Wikipedia he was American-born, just lived here. Sad to say he won the Advance Australia Award in 1981!!! Advance? Surely not!
Post a Comment