Monday, January 19, 2009

Tony Hart R.I.P.


For those of us born in the 50s and 60s 'Vision On' was an essential part of teatime telly. I loved 'Vision On' because it was about art, creativity and it seemed very inclusive with warm and gentle presenters who weren't 'gung ho' or trendy but still encouraging. I loved the fact that the programme was signed for deaf children and the feeling that everybody was joining in. Although I loved art I was never brave enough to enter a picture for the hallowed 'Gallery' but I tried out the ideas and had all the annuals.


The mainstay of the programme was Tony Hart -- a quiet and seemingly modest uncle figure. He died yesterday and there are many tributes to him all over the Web. Recently I read an article about him in The Observer which mentioned that he had had two strokes over recent years which affected his ability to use his hands and to draw. On a day when I was regretting my own loss of past abilities, that thought brings me up short and makes me realise how lucky I am to have what I do have. His beloved wife had also died a few years ago and left him lonely and lost so I imagine that, from his point of view, his passing is a relief.


He has left a great legacy in terms of art, creativity and broadcasting. When I compare the programmes he appeared on with supposedly similar programmes for children now I know that something has been lost in the desperate desire to make children's' programming hip, cool and strident. The nearest equivalent we nearly had to Tony was Mark Speight who used to appear on 'SMART'. He too sadly died a few years back.


Children's' programme makers would be wise to look at these two sites (here and here) and reconsider how best to entertain and educate children in the future.


Thanks Tony.


5 comments:

Kahless said...

I remember Tony from when I was a kid. I was mesmermised by and loved Morph.

azirca said...

Even though I was born in the 70's, I remember Tony, I used to watch 'Vision On' as a child. I was fascinated by how they used to hang their art pieces after they had created them. Do you remember? They would just stick them up on the wall and they just stayed there, like magic! I loved that part almost as much as the art that they made, I know, I'm strange! Now as a much... *ahem* wiser adult I realize that it wasn't magic after all probably just good old double-sided tape or the like.

R.I.P Tony.

Digitalesse said...

I've just watched some old Vision On footage on YouTube and it reminded me of all the great but simple ideas about creating art out of pens, paint and everyday objects. I liked that 60s, almost beatnik inspired music. Some of the art/creativity ideas were almost avante garde. It was not all about pretty pictures but the developement of ideas and presenting them visually. Vision On was all about fun and making things, and sadly, I think that whole ethos has been lost and replaced by consumerism.

Anonymous said...

i loved morph and chaz his friend too! I think the loss of programmes like those with Tony is that they were calm and relied on interesting content to keep our interest, which they did, rather than bright colours, stupid voices and just being loud in every way... if there is kids tv on i have to flick past as it actually hurts! I don't think it's just my ME brain, they are so full-on!

I also loved willo the wisp with kenneth william's voice - remember that?

Sarah said...

That is a lovely tribute to Tony Hart. I loved Vision On, especially the gallery part
Sarah