Friday, January 16, 2009

Snakes & Ladders



Well, long time no see/hear/write and I feel like I have been neglecting this blog and you, dear reader.

It’s been nothing personal --- nothing you’ve done. I’m still very fond of you but circumstances have been against me for a while and I have had to concentrate upon those things which have to be done rather than those things which I’d like to do: like attend to my blog.

Before Christmas, partner was first told that hours would be reduced because of financial shortfall at employers :

Cue Famille Cusp shivering in dark corner wondering where the next scheckel will come from.

Shortly afterwards a number of employees cleared off saying they could not survive on reduced hours and had found alternative employ and then others were very poorly with the Christmas lurgy:

Cue partner not having reduced hours but increased hours and trying to fill in for the people who were no longer at work or able to get to work.

Cue Cusp trying to do all usual Cuspish chores-domestique plus many of the other things partner usually does.

Cue Tired Cusp and Failing Cusp and then Christmas.

Christmas passed by in an interesting manner. Baby Jesus hath smiled upon the Cusp Household in that we did not fall low in the face of the dreadful flu bug which seemed to beset all and sundry around and about us but son of Cusp did succumb to funny virus and infection in eye . The latter was very worrying since he is already visually impaired and has glaucoma.

Cue many trips to hospital and checks and drops and unguents.

All better now --- well nearly ----but it made for a quiet-ish Christmas with many trips up and down stairs with trays of food, providing company, watching videos, DVDs, PS2 games and many trips to hospital and calls to NHS Direct; not being sure if an array of symptoms were due to eye drops’ side effects or funny virus or both.

Cue Cusp and partner v.tired after Christmas
….and..breath….ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;0)

So that’s what I done in my holidays, innit, and now it is taking many a day to try and pull everything together again and feel like I have some control over the domestics and myself for I have not able to rely on my body (not that I EVER feel I can rely on it) for weeks.

When things are poodling along in their usual family-life kind of way it is relatively (and I say RELATIVELY) easy to try and fit my energy management regime around circumstances and stay on an evenish keel. I can more or less tell what I can manage and what I cannot. I can more or less tell how far I can push my limits without disaster. God knows I have had enough practice in managing what’s left of my energy. But when I am beset by unusual, unpredictable circumstances the whole thing goes to pot. I cannot rest when I need to. There are things that have to be done, people that have to be cared for, animals that have to be fed, cleaned out, walked. It’s no good taking on all the sensible advice about ignoring housework and only doing what you have to do because what has to be done in this house when unusual circumstances arise is more than I can really cope with but they have to be done.

And now there is beginning to be some semblance of the day-to-day routine that passes for normality Chez Cusp…and I am at sea: unable to get used to being alone again, occasionally liking the solitude and the next moment hating it, feeling as if I should be doing something productive but not knowing what and having a horrible feeling that life is passing me by, has passed me by.

….and breath…………………

Life is complicated and I am at that point (as is oft the case with PWME or any other chronic illness) where I could shake a fist at the sky and tell the whole damned thing to clear off, leave me alone, I’ve done my time, I’ve made my amends, done all the right things, listened to the advice, listened to the doctor, the healer, the insurance company and none of it has done any good. All that works is time passing and being careful and cautious and biding my time. I feel like I’m in some religious order locked away from the world. Maybe I should buy a habit ?

Rachel (The Creative One) sums up the dilemma very well:

‘Motivation is not an issue with this illness. Desire to do more, be more, is never a problem’

You progress, you want more, you do more, you wait, you wonder, you fall or carry on ….you’ve done more, you progress….but there’s always that hesitancy, that fear, that feeling of being unreliable to your self and to others so that you don’t feel able to jump back into the game.
As one of her commenters (Nina) puts it:

‘………you can’t be successful there unless you can continuously produce! I, too have gotten (what to me seems) much better, but when I’m in the real world, I realize it’s a relatively tiny improvement…’

And there’s the dilemma again for you can do all the right things but it’s never enough. The rest of the world moves too fast and unless you live on an island worldly matters impinge on your progress and you depend on the love and care of others to survive ---as we all do.


This ME life is one of snakes and ladders

15 comments:

nmj said...

Oh, Cusp, I hope your boy has recovered, how worrying for you. x

Reading the Signs said...

Eloquently presented, Sister Cusp. I like the notion of getting a habit, yes indeed. What vows will be drawn from our unwilling lips, I wonder?

The solitude thing is a strange one. I was not made for so much of it, but now it has become a necessary part of life.

Good wishes to you and the Cusp family.

Cusp said...

Heh NMJ. Well we're not completely out of the woods yet but the Consultant does seem to have finaly found the right combination of meds. amd thigs are looking a lot less frightening.

Ah Signs (or is that Signs of the Cross...or Star...) I feel all necessary vows have already been dragged rom our unwilling lips. Who needs more ? The habit...well you seem to have enough of your own what with the fags and the drink[;0] (see Signs' latest post) but I fancy something in a dove grey (very Julie Andrews) but with a kind of ironic reference to Wessley etc. on the reverse ---something symbolic like two digits thrust aloft. Whaddya fink ?

Solitude ?: thought I was made for it....only child and all that..and usually I am but after 8 years the novelty is beinning to pall. Maybe I should dump the idea of having a habit and become a bingo caller: lots of company. warm. afternoon shift/ Ooooh sound great already.

Reading the Signs said...

Sister Nicotine of the Two Fingers it is then. Two Fingers, for short. Yes, and although I have a few habits of my own tucked under my scapular (or is it wimple?), I could do with something dove grey, with a logo on the back such as you suggest. Though personally I would like something phallic and smoking between the fingers. Yes, the more I think about it the better I like it.

I see no reason why you can't have the habit and become a bingo caller. I would be useless at that. Cinema usherette perhaps - not very sociable but one would feel at the hub of things and I could stuff my face with popcorn.

Anonymous said...

My dear Cusp - you say what is on my mind.

"I could shake a fist at the sky and tell the whole damned thing to clear off, leave me alone, I’ve done my time, I’ve made my amends, done all the right things, listened to the advice, listened to the doctor, the healer, the insurance company and none of it has done any good.

All that works is time passing and being careful and cautious and biding my time. I feel like I’m in some religious order locked away from the world."

THAT is my January 2009. I'm hoping it's a product of the post festive survival (doing the restricted rounds socially and STILL feeling wiped out at the end of it all) and the sense of everyone around me reflecting, aiming for change, focusing on "the new". The usual January "things will be different this year".

What cheers me a little is knowing that I'm not alone in the feelings so either I'm not loopy or I'm not the only loopy one.

Cusp said...

Signs dearest. I could, I suppose, wear the habit and be a Bingo Caller but I'm afraid that the long droopy sleeves would get in the way of me pickig up the balls (not sure it's seemly, for a Nun, to mention 'habits' and 'balls' in the same sentence, but heh !)
I'm not sure you woud cut it as an usherette if you were to spend the entire film stuffing your face with pop corn and slurping the Kia Ora. Sounds like the worst kind of usherette possible and think and the static in those vile nylon overall things they wear.

No stick to be a writer in the woods. It's what you do best and if I get time I'll run up a habit on the machine for you, with requested embellishments, and you can wear it as you type the novella. It might even help you to draw upon divine inspiration..

Rachel, lovely to see you here. I'm glad I've connected. Makes me feel less alone and frustrated. You're probably right about the sour-ish mood being down to post festivity fatigue (as opposed to post-exertional) and all these ruddy people going on about what they'll do in this new year. At least they have the option to do whatever it is they intend, whereas it sometimes feels that whatever we choose to do it may very well not be possible

Maggie said...

Sorry to hear you've been having such a hard time.

We are only marginally getting closer to getting things finalised. But contracts are exchanged on parental flat, and completion is on Jan 30th.

I'll try and email you later with a bit of an update on the rest. Hoping to update me blog later, but horrendously tired today after hoovering most of the flat yesterday. Still got more stuff to clear - it seems neverending!

I know what you mean about solitude. When Mum died it was very difficult, and there's a limit to how much one feels able to go on about the negative stuff with partner - just not fair on him. I'm so glad that I'm able to go for counselling, to have someone else to moan to, and weep at, and rant and rave to. ;-)

Now that things are finally beginning to move forward a little we will probably begin on the *real* counselling work, which is going to be horribly painful, but necessary.

Hugs from sunny Liverpool

Kahless said...

It is a horrible time right now with the recession.

Loads of uncertainty.

I am pleased that Mr Cusp didnt end up with reduced hours in the end.

I hope his job remains secure too.

xx.

Cusp said...

Good to hear from you agian Maggie. Glad the storm of misery is settling and you will find some peace this year.

Ah Kahless...well actually the hours have been reduced: the pre Xmas status quo was nothing of the sort. It was just that when some employees made alternative arragements (i.e left) ad others were too ill to work it became necessary for Cusp partner to fill in the gaps. Now the poorly ones are better the boss has decided they'll all have to manage on reduced hours and fill the gaps with volunteers ---it's a charity. Think many charities are in the same boat. All very difficult.

Anonymous said...

snakes and ladders is a great analogy... i read this after first posted but was not up to commenting until now and my getting a habit joke aready used - ahh well.

It does feel like being locked away on a religious mission - a trial by illness - but we have learnt our lessons so well and done everything we are supposed to and still no joyful release... yes i know how you feel. I often think i am so tired of being so f***ing "ZEN" all the time, but it takes too much energy to rage and scream year after year doesn't it? You just end up getting on with it as best you can...

My partner had a virus and infection in one eye combo over the last ten days or so - really nasty thing (she has no other eye issues thankfully so less drama than for you and your son) and she is still not totally over it. I am so glad i somehow dodged that one (as i usually do with viruses strangely). Small mercies and all that... see, back to religious turns of phrase!

Hope your son is totally better soon x

Cusp said...

Hi Ashy. Thanks for dropping by. Does seem like a lot of people are in asimilar mood to me --- and there was me thinking I was only and most miserable old ratbag alive !

Yep...'The Zen Thing': takes a lot of energy to keep chilled and smiling when you feel like screaming too but you're right --- in the end the only way to keep going through this mire is to chill out, ride the bumps and be patient. Other people have their own problems and generally they don't want to hear about yours. In any case it's hard for them to really empathise with PWME when they have no experience of it.

We all just have to rub along together and be kind: cliched and simple but true.

Thanks for mention of our son. He does seem to be on the mend now -- good sign is the amount of rude words eminating from his room yesterday when he couldn't get on to the mext level of his PlayStation game ;0)

D Phoenix said...

Well written, as usual. You, most surely, are not alone in your feelings and struggles and fist-shaking. I'm sure it's harder to stay strong inside when you're wiped out from having to push so hard, but this emotional pain and longing is something that people with chronic illnesses wrestle with regularly.

Have you read "On Illness" by Virginia Woolfe? She talks about "the army of the upright" and how she is not a member of that moving mass. Then there's "In the Land of Pain" by Daudet. He lived in Paris in the late 1800's and found that it was very difficult to be sick in such a fast-paced city.

It's hard to find writings about life in this imposed slow lane. Your words add to the feeling of connection and help ease isolation.

I spend a lot of time alone and lonely and throttled. It's tough. It does help that I've met you and others online who understand and who also make me laugh and feel "normal" somehow. I'll always be a bit of a weirdo (and proud of it), but at least now I have a place to feel like others and I fit in.

Anonymous said...

Quelle phrase nГ©cessaire... super, l'idГ©e excellente achat cialis achat cialis

Anonymous said...

ont compris Vite)))) ejaculation precoce

Anonymous said...

cheap alesse without prescription overnight delivery Cheap Levonorgestrel Cod Next Day buy Flagyl in Louisiana Get cheapest Flagyl ER online now information flomax buy Flomax (Tamsulosin) in Utah buy Flomax free consultation buy buy Levitra now online Clomid tablets no prescription next day delivery lexapro boniva cash on delivery overnight