Sunday, April 19, 2009

Properly stuffed now !

Warning ! This post has been written in a spirit of exasperation, anger and general fed-upness. There may well be words contained therein which could offend the meek and gentle. I don't feel meek or gentle at the moment so if you possess and exude such qualities, please desist from reading the post below as you may be offended by 'language'.



If you have been dropping by for some little while you may remember the ongoing saga with the old gnashers. Bloody Teeth !

Amongst the notsofragrant days of recent past there have been my rather pathetic and inept attempts to have three teeth removed

No, Silly, not removing them myself, though that might be one solution --but to get myself to a dentist who will remove them for me.

Now for anybody else, the removal of teeth may be daunting but not terribly complicated. For the person with M.E. it is not so straightforward. Nothing ever bloody is for the person with M.E.

After much soul-searching and trepidation I did get myself to the dentist in November to ask eversonicely if she could accommodate a poor quaking soul such as I (who doesn't like dentists at the best of times) and remove said offending gnashers -- but gently and nicely. After some discussion it was agreed that the probable best course was to put me in a dreamlike state known as Conscious Sedation and a date was set for February.

December came and went and likewise January.

Cusp was poorly and not well at all -- certainly not well enough to have gnashers ripped out --dreamlike state or not.

A new date was set for March.

By this time Cusp was a little better but having all sorts of complicated symptoms thanks to low blood sugar and having to eat every hour and nothing too sweet or carb-y. The useless doctor refused point blank to bandy words like 'hypoglycemia' or to offer any help so it was up to me to try and sort it on my ownsome.

And then .......it was at this point that the nice dentist let slip that actually you had to fast for two hours before having the nice dreamy drug prior to removal of teeth. She had not mentioned any of this in November.

Cusp was cross and felt led astray with a false promise.

This was a great blow for I had put a lot of faith in this modus operandi for extraction. The new morsel of information which she had forgotten to impart made me think that all was lost:
there was no way I could fast for two hours before she set about me plus fast for another hour or two whilst she extracted and I came round and got home
.....so I cancelled at the last minute and she was everso cross but courteous

(Do you think dentist have a special ability to speak nicely through very white and perfect gritted teeth ?)

I wrote a very apologetic letter and said maybe we could think of another way ---- even including me being everso, everso brave and 'just' having a local anaesthetic and her pulling the nasty buggers: thus no fasting just courage (Mon Brave )

I have waited a month now and yesterday morning I received a letter in reply saying she likes me everso much but really I'm just too bloody complicated and difficult to contend with health-wise so please can she shake me off her books and refer me to the hospital.

I think that may be a caring way (and she is caring) of saying 'Sod off, you're just too much trouble and you keep cancelling and wasting my time and money'. Fair enough really. I'm sure the likes of PWME are a nightmare for the dental and medical profession.

To her way of thinking hospital referral seems my best solution. For me it is all the more terrifying for you see, dear reader, hospital probably means general anaesthetic and PWME don't want to touch GAs with a bargepole as they have the potential for spelling BIG TROUBLE :long, long recovery, relapse and all sorts of nasties; especially if you are already trying to climb the slippery slope up from a relapse already ......like moi.

So....proper stuffed now

....and what do I do ?

....No idea.

I have written to the dentist again asking if she might refer me to the Community Dental Team who deal with all manner of complicated buggers like me on a daily basis.

Will they have any idea about what to do with me ?

Probably not but it's worth a try

What a mess


OH, I WISH I'D LOOKED AFTER MY TEETH
by
Pam Ayres



Oh, I wish I'd looked after me teeth,
And spotted the perils beneath,
All the toffees I chewed,
And the sweet sticky food,
Oh, I wish I'd looked after me teeth.

I wish I'd been that much more willin'
When I had more tooth there than fillin'
To pass up gobstoppers,
From respect to me choppers
And to buy something else with me shillin'.

When I think of the lollies I licked,
And the liquorice allsorts I picked,
Sherbet dabs, big and little,
All that hard peanut brittle,
My conscience gets horribly pricked.

My Mother, she told me no end,
"If you got a tooth, you got a friend"
I was young then, and careless,
My toothbrush was hairless,
I never had much time to spend.

Oh I showed them the toothpaste all right,
I flashed it about late at night,
But up-and-down brushin'
And pokin' and fussin'
Didn't seem worth the time... I could bite!

If I'd known I was paving the way,
To cavities, caps and decay,
The murder of fiIlin's
Injections and drillin's
I'd have thrown all me sherbet away.

So I lay in the old dentist's chair,
And I gaze up his nose in despair,
And his drill it do whine,
In these molars of mine,
"Two amalgum," he'll say, "for in there."

How I laughed at my Mother's false teeth,
As they foamed in the waters beneath,
But now comes the reckonin'
It's me they are beckonin'
Oh, I wish I'd looked after me teeth.

15 comments:

nmj said...

Cusp, This is tough, damn that dentist! I can understand you wanting to avoid a general, that goes without saying. Shame you would find the fasting so hard, I had conscious sedation a year ago for a medical exploratory procedure and it was lovely, you have zero memory of the procedure, but are not actually asleep, I was starving afterwards though and had to eat immediately - I had fasted for 24 hours for this, except Lucozade and clear soup, I felt like death - with dental extractions this would be difficult to eat straight away. Why can't the hospital do it with conscious sedation, why would that not be an option?

nmj said...

hey again, cusp, sorry, i see that you do not want conscious sedation cos of fasting, that is the whole crux! i read too quickly before...

Digitalesse said...

Dear Cusp, all I can say is that I'd hate to have to be going through all this. The stress must be bad enough, never mind the reality of having the work done. I'm rather wary of the dentist myself, and I tend to apply the avoidance strategy.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, sounds like you have been really having hard times lately and this is one thing too much. I have no useful suggestions, only maybe to wait until the blood sugar issues are dealt with and can improve a bit (though that does not seem to be happening - i know nothing about hypoglycemia etc either)... So sorry to hear this and hope someone has an answer that means it causes as little stress and as few after-effects as possible.

Cusp said...

Hello my dears. Thanks for your support. Yes it's all a bloddy mess: have to say that some of it is of my own making in that I too took your 'avoidance strategy' Digi (so be warned!) when I was fisrt ill and my front teeth took a bashing. Just felt completely unable to go to dentist: at that point I was virtually bed-bound so it was a 'no-go'. Four years ago I did get myself to the dentist and had quite a lot of work and repair but the last appointment was an extraction and it took me 4 months to reover so the idea of going back for three more was daunting to say the least. That dentist (different from present one) had absloutely no idea about M.E. --- suggested all sorts of treatment that would be impossible for me and absloutely refused to think about consious sedation -- ironically -- because at that point my hypoglycemia wasn't nearly so bad and I probably could have coped with it. Problem is that I live in the sticks so it has taken me this long to find a dentist near enough who offers Consc. Sed. ---and now it's no good.

I'm so sick of 'health professionals' being so bloody ignorant about PWME and our needs. They can be very sympathetic and pleasant (which is better than a few years ago when they were more likely to be cynical and perjorative about the situation) but being nice and making nice noises doesn't get the bloody job done.

I'm so cross I could spit teeth !! ha ha !

Anyway....another torrent of frustration and irritability unleashed --- apologies.

Once again thanks for your comments and support ;0)

Amy said...

Hi Cusp,
I'm so sorry to hear you're having all this trouble. I have been visiting your blog for a while now, but never left a comment before, so thought I would de-lurk and say hello.
I don't know much about the whole dental issue, but just wanted to say that I have severe M.E. and I've had a lot of problems with something called reactive hypoglycemia. It took years to get anyone to take it seriously, or get it diagnosed, but I eventually did, and now manage it through diet and some medication. I could share info with you if you would find it helpful.
It sounds like the community dental team might be worth a try. I have check-ups at home, and as you say they have more experience dealing with chronically ill/weak/unusual (delete as appropriate) people.
Take care and hang on in there.
Amy

Cusp said...

Hi Amy. Nice to see you here and thanks for de-lurking ;0)
Sorry to hear you are so badly affected. Even my 6 months in bed were enough for me at the beginning.

Very interested to hear more about your experiences with hypoglycemia and diag. My history with suspicion of this go back 25+ years but no amount of tests have shown anything conclusive and doctors seem to know nothing about it. I'm trying really hard with diet etc and supps. Someone else suggested chromium and I already take magnesium and CoQ10 but I'd like to know about your supps and medications. Perhaps you could email me or permit me onto your blog ?

Take care

Cusp x

Hope you are

Kahless said...

Oh Cusp,
I read your post though my stomach turned as I read about what you have to go through. Stuff of nightmares.

I have a lottery ticket for this wednesday, friday and saturday. (A birthday pressie.)

I promise you that if I win (more than a tenner of course!) I will pay for you to see a top of the range private dentist that the stars see who will be ever so kind and wonderful and gentle and give you all the time in the world.

Thats a promise.

{{{{Cusp}}}}}

Cusp said...

Awww thanks Kahless. The dentist I was going to was private -- I've psenta fortune in duff treatment and lack of real understanding. If you DO win the lottery please treat Yourself, Mrs K and the doggies first...in that order or any other you.

azirca said...

I know that I shouldn't be laughing right now but I can't help but giggle at your comical account of your gnashers saga! Of course dear Cusp I am laughing at your humour and certainly not at your situation.

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this on top of everything else, that really is not fair. Unfortunately I have no suggestions or alternatives for you. I do hope that you are able to find someone who will be able to extract those teeth in the most gentlest kind of way.

gentle *hugs*

Amanda said...

Oh dear! I'm really sorry to hear about this saga with your teeth. I was so annoyed last year when having managed to NEVER have a single filling, I had to have my first one. I was quite miffed that my perfect record was being sullied. Never mind that it was completely my fault, since it was about 6 years since I'd visited a dentist...your situation is SO much worse. It is so horrible to contemplate anesthetics and such, which you know will take their toll for months. I don't know what the answer is...maybe tie your tooth to the iron and throw it out the window, like the old days??? Good luck whatever you decide.

Reading the Signs said...

Cusp, I think I have been on a similar "journey" with teeth. Front ones are ok, but I actually don't have many back ones left as a result of years of appalling cowboy dentistry. I paid hundreds of pounds to deal with some of the damage and many of my relapses over the years have come as a result of dental work and local anaesthesia. I recently asked if I could have the rest of my back teeth out but dentist was very reluctant. I'm just living with the situation as is, waiting for some kind of a crunch - literal and metaphorical. No-one understands about how difficult it is for PWME to have dental work done and dentists all think I'm a bit weirdy/neurotic. It's a nightmare! Good luck with it all - let us know how it all goes.

Cusp said...

Yep sounds like my experience all over. A lot of things got worse for me 25 years ago when I had about 3 caps and four crowns done when I was at Uni (cheaper to have it done as student in those days) All sorts of stuff started to go wrong and that's why I've tried to stay away from dentists as much as poss. since but there comes a time where your teeth give up and you have to go and then, as you say, it's 'crunch' time and yes they do all think I'm weird and neurotic and simply making a fuss.

The dentist, before last, more or less told me that his patients who have cancer don't make as much as a meal of it as people with M.E. and made me feel hugely guilty and embarassed --- especially as my mother had just died from cancer but the fact is that there is no competition in all this --- i.e. who is iller than who --- and cancer is perceived as a real illness and real suffering (which of course it is) and M.E. is seen as the bane of neurotics who need to pull themselves together (by some people anyway).

I explained all this stuff to the present dentist and she seemed to understand but then said 'Well, you don't seem to have gone down the depressive route anyway. We've got a receptionist who's got M.E. and she's always depressed and hardly ever here.' Should have listened to those alarm bells I heard ringing shouldn't I ?

I'll say it again: 'Bloody Teeth' !

rachelcreative.wordpress.com said...

Well. At the dental surgery where i had sedation and teeth removed they advised that I should eat something a couple of hours before as it can help to recover from the effects. Hmmm.

I would think the hospital will offer concious sedation and local anesthetic as a first line unless your teeth are very difficult to remove. Nowadays they want you out as quick as possible. Forgive me if you've covered this in the comments I wasn't able to read them all.

It may be worth seeking out a second dentist who advertises that they treat "nervous patients" and at least getting a second opinion on sedation.

So utterly frustrating when the last thing you need is to have to fight to get a procedure done that really you don't want to have to face!!

seahorse said...

A Community Dental Team (in my experience) will indeed be more geared up. Having said that, it's been over six months since I was told 'No thanks, go away' by my dentist and referred to hospital via a CDT to have a wisdom tooth out. Mind you, I did tell them it wasn't urgent (lie) and that I could wait a few months as I'm coming off more meds...