M.E., Invisibility and Blogging
So often M.E. is invisible. So often people with M.E. look well.
‘You look so well’
‘To look at you, you’d never think anything was wrong’
The frustration of feeling so ill and looking quite well can be demoralising and infuriating. Recently I read the blog post of someone with M.E. who was so desperate to be understood that she wished she could look more ill so that people would realise how ill she felt: so that the face matched the suffering.
There’s the dilemma for people with an invisible illness:
we want to be free of the illness but that option isn’t available;
we want people to recognise our pain and struggle but that’s not necessarily an option because we often don’t look as ill as we feel so we are lumbered with looking quite well, feeling quite awful and needing some way of straddling the line between what we experience and how we are perceived.
Blogging can be a way of reaching out and communicating and offering a helping hand when living in such a paradox. No one can see you and only the words matter. You can be who you want to be, when you want to be.
There seem to be two sorts of blogs written by people with M.E.: those who use the blog to list symptoms, cry out, vent, share progress (or otherwise), politicise, campaign and those who use their blog as an outlet for the person beyond the illness, the person who was there before the illness and is still there despite the illness. Some blogs manage to share the two approaches but by and large most blogs by people with M.E. lean more one way or the other.
When I started my blog it was an outlet for the person I could still remember had been there before ill health wormed its way in like a parasite.
In the first few months of blogging I vowed never to mention my illness:
here was a space that would be M.E. free,
here was where Cusp met the world on Cusp’s own terms and no one could see or know how long it took to put a post together,
the desperate searching for words and phrases,
the pains in body,
the fluctuating levels of anxiety,
the feelings of nausea,
the headache.
Here was a space where I wouldn’t have to worry about standing up, keeping eye contact, smiling in all the right places, keeping up the pretence that everything was OK whilst communicating with someone else., not letting my guard down…not letting myself down.
Eventually, even that space was deemed less than sacred.
The spectre of M.E. infiltrated my blog and I started to hint, started to mention how I was feeling…..physically.
I couldn’t keep up the pretence even in a virtual world anymore than I had been able to keep up the pretence in the real world at work when I was feeling terribly ill but desperately trying to carry on regardless, not give in, not roll over.
Another plan spoilt.
Another dream stolen.
I lost interest.
I abandoned the blog…
in rage,
in frustration,
in despair.
And then after a few months I began to read other blogs written by people with M.E.: blogs that were witty, humorous, thought-provoking
...and sometimes they mentioned M.E. and sometimes they didn’t.
I tried again.
This time I was honest and attempted to get the balance right…between the person behind the malady and the person who has to face up to being lumbered with obstacles, frustrations, difficulties ..like any and everyone else. I didn’t have to hide myself away or hide from my own difficulties but I could express the me that is still here but often hidden and I could communicate and relate to people as if I was still well.
It is much easier to be what I think of as the real me in a virtual world than the real world.
In real life, it’s much harder to be who I really am: the difficulties of getting from A to B, the constant interruptions by ‘that spectre’, the frustrations of trying to maintain family life and hold to my responsibilities as a parent whilst keeping the worst excesses of M.E. at bay, make it hard to maintain flow, hard to maintain the me beneath the illness.
In the blog, I can drift in and out of communicating when energy and space allow: you can see who I want you to see.
Recently I was challenged to reveal my ‘real’ face, my ‘real’ name.
I was perplexed.
Should I reveal the ‘real’ me ?
What would be the point in doing that ?
What would that mean for me ?
Which is the real me ?
Is there a difference between me in the world and me in a virtual world ?
For my readers -- if I might put it so boldly -- there is no ‘real’ or ‘not-real’ name or face because here, here on the Web, I am Cusp and only Cusp.
It’s the only way you know me and it’s who I have chosen to be in this space.
Cusp is a name I chose to represent myself on the Web
Cusp: the me who is unfettered and unhindered by that ‘bastard illness’ as one dear blogging chum once called it.
Cusp’s home: the blog …. the one place I can come to and get some space and peace away from what is supposedly the ‘real’/ real world me because the body who walks about in space and time is not the real me…it’s a diluted version. If I revealed the ‘real’ me then there would be no joy in blogging because I would have no escape from the constant struggles of every day
Cusp: kind of alter-ego but only a kind ..because essentially the Cusp you read about is the essential me and I chose the name specifically because it exemplifies who I am and where I am because, like a lot of people with M.E. I live between two places…
between ambition and practicality,
between hope and realistic expectation,
always living on the periphery,
the edge,
always on the cusp of being able to get somewhere
On the blog, whilst I still have to live real-life me, I can release the hidden me and be closer to who I was in real life because Cusp is a part-remnant from another life,
a former life,
a life when I met more people,
did more things,
felt relaxed about life and what needed to be done
when it was easy to do the smallest things
even the hardest things
and a life where I felt useful and competent and vibrant
Blogging has been a lifeline. It has helped me to feel part of a community again, to feel appreciated and to find lots of other people to appreciate –-- for their kindness, humour, creativity and given me the opportunity to express a part of myself that could easily become submerged beneath the onslaught of ill health.
Blogging brings awareness, self-awareness, awareness of a bigger world, awareness of possibilities ---- a world away from what can be a very confined existence.
Blogging brings freedom.
15 comments:
Cusp,
This is a wonderful post, thank you for showing both sides so often. I'm afraid that my writing leans toward the expressing my frustrations and symptoms, but for me, that's what I need, to let down that barrier and to stop pretending I'm ok. However, I love reading blogs that are filled with humor and bounce in and out, it gives me HOPE. So thank you for being one of those bloggers who give me hope every day.
I knew that about your name because it was such a good way of describing how I feel much of the time.
Awesome post.
wow, what a FANTASTIC post. You really hit the nail on the head and I can now see a little more clearly just what my need to blog is about :-) THANKS! xx
Lovely post, Cusp - you've expressed something that feels important also to me - the freedom that Blogoslavia offers to move between the different selves, the fluidity. Yes, lets hear it for the blog persona. Hurrah for her freedom and possibilities. And hurrah also for the monkey companion who even now sits close to where I type these words, muttering nonsense and poetry (both so appreciated) and sending her love to Cuspchen.
This is sent to you in the small, insomniac hours. It's - er - good to talk x
Great post, Cusp. I think a lot about the whole blogging and illness and identity thing. Really enjoyed reading your perspective, thanks for sharing it.
Excellent post, "Cusp" suits you so well ;)
You have put scared, but i think you mean sacred - i wouldn't bother pointing out a typo usually but it is not that obvious what it should be and it's an important line for the message of the post!
Blogging and the way people approach it is so interesting. I think ones that hark back to the former self cannot really be sustained, only ones which embrace who the person is now, despite the illness, can survive without mentionning the illness (like michael nobbs has done - though he talks about it more now!). I use it to vent, to share and support with others but also as an aid memoir, to try to track my journey. I often ask myself "am i better or worse than i was at X time" my blog helps me to think back (not that i can ever make a definite assessment!). It is also good to remember (and share) the good times, i always make sure to post about them as well as the hideous stuff.
Dawn,Lee Lee, Schwester, Jo, Grenwords and Ashy Thank you all for your kind comments. I was afraid that the message wouldn't get through and that this post was garbled. It has been so hard to concentrate with all the building work ;O(
Even at the best of times it's hard to explain why te blog is important and whilst, in a way, 'Cusp' does hark back to another me in a way 'Cusp' also is me now...living on the edge.
Thank you for your support my blogging chums
(and thanks Ashy for noting my typo....corrected now)
Do you remember the movie, Surrogates,? I almost wonder if it wouldn't be easier on us if we had a surrogate that did everything we needed to accomplish in the 'real' world, thus, enabling us in a sense, 'live.'
I really enjoyed your post. You cover the many quandaries that we all contend with.
Thanks for being vulnerable and transparent and letting us into a little piece of your world.
I really appreciate it.
You put into words so well what many feel and are unable to express. I absorbed each and every word and I found myself nodding in agreement to the symptoms, emotions and also to why I blog.
Regardless of your real name, you'll always be Cusp to me. You are also the wonderful woman who inspires me with your view of life, and your delightful sense of humour that always makes me smile.
Dominique and Azirca --- one new 'chum' and one established one [ I was going to say 'old' chum...but that wouldn't be acuarte or kind ;o) ]
Thank you for your appreciation -- especially as I thought this post was a bit messy with my current foggy brain and 'at home distractions'... LOL !
What a wonderful post Cusp.
I understand what the other blogger was on about there are often times as much as I hate my crutches I love them at the same time because people can actually SEE I have an issue. As horrible as that sounds I atleast feel like I don't have to contend so much with the 'well you're walking down the street, nothing wrong with you!' It doesn't matter if I'm grimacing in pain or walking so slowly I might aswell be dragged if they see no crutches, they see no problem.
Blinkered? Yes
Closed Minded? Yes
Reality of Society? Yes, yes and yes again.
Sassy
-xxx-
Hey Cusp,
This is a really interesting post. I've been wanting to start my own blog for a while, but haven't been well enough to begin (partly I think because I'm afraid that I won't have the strength to sustain it regularly, although there are other people who's blogs I follow devotedly, no matter how infrequently they post).
A big thing for me in contemplating blogging is trying to decide how much to write about my illness. I have fantasies about an entirely illness-free blog, but like you found, I doubt I could sustain that because sadly having severe ME affects every part of my life.
Anyway, you've given me food for thought.
Thanks for writing, and take care.
Amy xx
Cusp, I just discovered your blog. Your post really spoke to me - as someone who is living with the day to day reality of CFS/ME and balancing that with the dreams, hopes and gratitude that also give meaning to my life.
Thanks for sharing.
Heh, Sassy, Amy and Just Me, Glad you found the post interesting and hope that you will find time to start blogging yourselves when energy allows ;O)
Hi Cusp - thank you for this post which resonates so well with my feelings. I've linked to it in my blog - hope that's OK with you :-) Regards, mf.
Post a Comment