Last weekend our local village church had a 'Scarecrow Wedding' to raise funds. Various parishioners had made scarecrows which filled the church and grounds to enact a wedding.

with the Vicar in attendance
and the Best Man to one side

other guests looked on proudly..........
a rather hirsute medallion man
Much to everyone's embarrassment Grandma seemed to have already made the most of the champers

The creativity, ingenuity and humour in all this work was lovely. I always enjoy such quintessentially English events. There's a gentleness and civility about the whole thing and they bring together a whole range of ages and aspects of a little community like ours. In addition there was tea and cakes and bric a brac ---- you already know my penchant for a bargain and a little Victorian gold broach, two hardback books and a nearly new Spirograph for daughter all at £1.50 hit the spot and I only had to travel 3 minutes drive away.
What more could you ask for ?
I know the layout of this post is dreadful but Blogger is playing me up endlessly today and I just don't have the enrgy to try and rectify it again: bloody Blogger !!!



6 comments:
ahaha how neat, I love it! The hairy chest on the medallion man is rather impressive!
Never mind about bloody Blogger, this is bloody gorgeous! Have you read 'The Mennyms!? Because I loved those (children's) books and this put me in mind of them.
What a wonderfully delightful event. And I bet much fun was had making the scarecrows.
Yes quintessentially English!
Thanks all.....yes it really was a lovely gentle afternoon with partner, children and childrens' friends and dog all in tow and happy.
Dear Signs...thanks too for the info about the 'Menymms'. Didn't know about that book but have just lookled it up on Amazon and my duaghter will love it. She's a great reader and really truly believes that all her dolls, sock monkeys etc are real --- so that book will be spot on: ordered from library.
Thanks for showing such a unique and wonderful event, Cusp. I loved those photos. Such creativity and ingenuity, not to mention fun. It cheered me up. The scarecrows had such character and personality, they almost came to life, in my mind.
oooooooh! I love these!
Weddings...aye.
I have a negative point of view these days...
I dare not share it!
Post a Comment