Here at Maison Cusp we are in the throes of end-of-term/end-of-year school 'jollies': Parents' evening, Achievement evening, Sports Day, End of term Disco, End of Youth Club Disco, Proms, Summer Residentials ....oh the list goes on and on. And you can double all those events because both children have all of them (near as damn it) and their schools are 15 miles apart so that makes for extra fun --- sitting at Sports Day all afternoon and then daughter quickly changing in car so we can drive to son's Achievement Evening for another two hours.
Now, don't get me wrong. I am genuinely interested in what our children have been doing and I love the fact that they are both doing well and are happy at school and their teachers say they have been a pleasure to teach. I'm proud of them and want them to have memories of their parents supporting them and being there and being involved with their schools and I want to know their teachers as much as I can BUT I do so wish that all this didn't have to come all at once. Every year the run up to the summer holidays is a head long rush of activity and later nights with children that are growing increasingly tired too. This is nothing to do with M.E. --well it is too --- but it's the same for all parents of kids at school.
In the meantime, Cusp has been silly. Son was desperate for a shed that he could use as a studio/den/refuge. Finally we relented on the proviso that he helped to assemble it and guess what we were all doing this past weekend ? : erecting a shed..... and it was l hands on deck so I joined in too. I am truly knackered with the screwing, painting etc. etc. and I have woken up feeling as if every bone and muscle is crushed but it was worth it to see his face and see how well he manages to get round his various disabilities to achieve what he wants. We both struggle in our own ways but both soldier on. Of course, being 13 and a half, there are the usual adolescent bumps -- storming off when it won't go right, waking up really late so Parents have done some work on the shed before he's even up but that goes with the territory and it just shows that, learning disability or not, he's the same as any other 13 year old which is great.
Now we have a few weeks grace whilst everything winds down and preparations must begin for the long 6 week break. Will we go away ? Will the M.E. be allowed to get in the way of travel plans and prevent escape ? Is the energy required to go on holiday worth the effort when often I spend a holiday in bed because the journey there has tired me so much ?
Watch this space !!!!!
Now, don't get me wrong. I am genuinely interested in what our children have been doing and I love the fact that they are both doing well and are happy at school and their teachers say they have been a pleasure to teach. I'm proud of them and want them to have memories of their parents supporting them and being there and being involved with their schools and I want to know their teachers as much as I can BUT I do so wish that all this didn't have to come all at once. Every year the run up to the summer holidays is a head long rush of activity and later nights with children that are growing increasingly tired too. This is nothing to do with M.E. --well it is too --- but it's the same for all parents of kids at school.
In the meantime, Cusp has been silly. Son was desperate for a shed that he could use as a studio/den/refuge. Finally we relented on the proviso that he helped to assemble it and guess what we were all doing this past weekend ? : erecting a shed..... and it was l hands on deck so I joined in too. I am truly knackered with the screwing, painting etc. etc. and I have woken up feeling as if every bone and muscle is crushed but it was worth it to see his face and see how well he manages to get round his various disabilities to achieve what he wants. We both struggle in our own ways but both soldier on. Of course, being 13 and a half, there are the usual adolescent bumps -- storming off when it won't go right, waking up really late so Parents have done some work on the shed before he's even up but that goes with the territory and it just shows that, learning disability or not, he's the same as any other 13 year old which is great.
Now we have a few weeks grace whilst everything winds down and preparations must begin for the long 6 week break. Will we go away ? Will the M.E. be allowed to get in the way of travel plans and prevent escape ? Is the energy required to go on holiday worth the effort when often I spend a holiday in bed because the journey there has tired me so much ?
Watch this space !!!!!
7 comments:
It sounds a wonderful thing that you've managed to do for your son, Cusp. How well I remember the summer holiday dilemma, with children. Happily, or unhappily, for many years we had so little money we could do sod all anyway - but just being at home is hard work too, so I used to pay nice student people to spend a couple of hours here and there with my kids. One of them made sock people (nothing like yours) with them, I remember.
Believe it or not, Eurocamp in Brittany came up trumps one year. Of course there is the travelling, but once there I was able to rest in the tent while kids played in relative safety around the pool.
ahhhhhh...summer time and the kids are out of school! yippeee!!!!
I remember those days....seems like ages ago. 13 years? Oh my....those were the nightmare years for me with mine. She was a terror, with a capital T. Any wonder given the madness of a certain banana. I wasn't nearly as good a parent as you and your significant other seem to be....sheeesh, I get tired just thinking about it.
And those treats look delectable! Yummy!
xxxoooxxxoooxxxooo!
All I can say about the picture with this blog is yummmm...chocolate...:D
I am glad you had such a great weekend with your family. And are creating good memories.
Can I have one of the pieces of chocolate cake with the smarties on top please?
:-)
Sounds manic all those end of term things. But blimey those cakes look good!
I am so easily distracted ;o)
Hope your shed shenanigans don't impact too much on you. How clever to have a shed to keep your teenager in!
Thank you all for your praise of the cakes. They sold quite well. Of course I saved a few just for you dear people [just reach through your screen and take your pick ;0)]
In all honesty the shed thing has taken it out of me somewhat and there's still end-of-termy stuff but I shall just plod on through like you do, like you have to.
Dear Signs ---thanks for the tip about Brittany. I'd love to go back there again --last time was the summer of 76 -scorchio !!!!
Kahless--- sorry I havent been over to you lately, my dear --to much happening and not enough time or energy but I really do appreciate you being such a loyal follower of the old blog. Hugs {{{ *}}} (The Smarties were put there just for you )
Ana my dear ---lovely to see you afetr your sojourn in the Retreat for the Bewildered ;0) and yes you can have a cake
Ekc --- well where did you come from my dear ? Lovely to meet you. Welcome anytime and help yourself to chocolate
Rachel --- well the shed is a good idea though it was his idea. He's had breakfast down there for the past 2 mornings. As for the cakes, well you have to have some distraction from cameras don't you ;0)
Nice to meet you too! Came across your blog through another one I read. :)
Post a Comment