Friday, July 11, 2008

Pretty shed





You may remember that my son recently had a shed delivered and assembled by Team Cusp Famille. Now, the shed has been put up alongside the hedge which borders our neighbour and means that, in part of their garden at least, they now see the back of a shed rather than a beautiful vista across the Cusp Estate ;0).


Our neighbours are an older couple. The wife is a wheelchair user so she can only just see across the top of the hedge and rarely gets to go out since her husband had to give up his driving license. We asked them about putting up the shed in case they didn't want to feel more hemmed in (though their garden is enormous and reaches another 100 metres past ours which is also quite big.) There were no objections but I promised that I would paint something on the back of the shed so that when O. comes out to her pond to feed her fish, at least she isn't just looking at 5 feet of black ship lap.



This week the couple have gone on holiday so whilst they've been away I've been nipping out in between the downpours and painting a lovely 'muriel' on the reverse of the shed.


I've always loved all the myths of the Green Man and the shed is situated under the apples trees where there is a blackbird's nest. This has been my inspiration.


I hope our neighbours like what I've painted. We'll have to wait and see


11 comments:

nmj said...

Cusp, this is the most beautiful shed I have ever seen, I am so impressed!

You should be v proud of this artwork.

Btw, I feel I should confess that sock monkey Splod (or Sploddy the Concorde as my wee nephew renamed him) has had an accident - my nephew said 'Sploddy has no arms' cos they were spinning him, but you will be pleased to know he can still fly. x

Cusp said...

Poor old Sploddy. What a poorly sockee monkee. Does he need to return to Planet Central for repair or can a local maternal nurse perform the necessary operation for resumption of full activity ? Or maybe Splod is happy as Concorde ? (His cousins on Planet Recroissance can of course regenerate limbs but sadly Splod's fellow travellers have never developed this trait)

Thank you for the praise of the shed painting.

Kahless said...

These are absolutely fantastic.

You are really talented.

Maggie said...

Hi there Cusp,

What a fantastic shed painting - I'm sure your neighbour will love it.

I've been thinking of painting my own green man for a few years now - he's from my childhood. Photo here:
http://www.fotolog.com/ukmaggie45/7629075

Hugs from Liverpool

azirca said...

WOW! Love your green man painting Cusp, it's fabulous! What a great sight for your neighbours to look at.

EkC said...

Great paintings! Kudos. :)

Cusp said...

Thank you for your appreciation of my efforts shed wise. Not sure what the neighbour makes of it> She's quiet old and not sure if she likes it or just sees it as a spooky face watching her feeding her goldfish ;0~

Good to see you back Ekc You make me laugh Kudos rite back atcha ;0)

D Phoenix said...

Thank goodness for this internet machine, because I didn't know what a "green man" was. Now that I am wiki-wise, I can say that you've done a lovely job with your green man. I'm particularly fond of the bird and the fruit. Love that red berry in contrast to the dark bird.

You wrote a while back (when you were touring artist studios with your daughter) about not being an artist. Did it feel good to do this work? Hope so!

EkC said...

Hehe, a little laughter is always a good thing. :)

Reading the Signs said...

I too particularly love the bird and fruit, but can't help remembering some of your remarks about - er - a certain type of devil bird. But this one looks straight from heaven. I have a green shed. But no talent for painting.

Cusp said...

My dear Signs, if you are referring to the 'p' word, there is no comparison. I love all the blacbirds in my garden and te finches and tits and the woodpecker and the crows and,sometimes, the chickens --- when they don't escape from their run and sit on the edge of the pots on my terrace and dig up my plants --- BUT I hate hate hate bl**dy pigeo.......no I can't say it.