Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sunday prayers


Sunday saw us all at the local Smallholders show; a lovely few hours where we could see everyone else's chickens and produce and all manner of other livestock. There were sheep, llamas, turkeys, ducks, big dogs, little dogs, old dogs, puppy dogs and several other whippets for Tiff to sniff.
Owen the big pig sleeping in the sun

The show gets bigger and bigger each year. There were tents with eggs, honey, fruit, vegetables, flowers;
tents with crafts, woodturning, spinning, weaving, leather work, photography, old tools, old machinery.
The highlight for us was, and usually is, the agility show with the dogs. I'm always amazed at how much owners really do come to resemble their dogs ( no exception here either !) and how much the dogs seem to enjoy the fun and games and the tender humiliation of their owners ---- often a very enthusiastic middle aged, middling weighted person lumbering after a lightning speed Collie.
Even the other dogs enjoyed watching the dogs

Now I'm shattered, having been to our village church yesterday for the flower festival. More village life with lovely displays, the organist playing Sati and lots of old ladies shakily pouring milk into rows and rows of teacups, cutting sponges into wedges with the old urn steaming away in the background ---- bliss ! Tea and cake eaten within the shade of a church porch on a sunny afternoon with an old dog waiting for crumbs: he had his own tea on a paper plate too and a good finger full of coffee cake.

Today I shall bake a cake for Tuesday's Achievement Day at son's school and then rest up in the hope that I can make it through that event, Sports Day and then the next six weeks of school holidays

How does that old 60s Aretha song go ?.....'I say a little prayer.....'

9 comments:

Kahless said...

...for you....

Fabulous photo fest Cusp. I love looking at your pics. I love owen!

Cusp said...

Ta everso. Yeh, Owen was lovely and HUGE ! There were some lovely old dogs there you would've loved -- labs, wolf hounds, lurchers and lots of nutty, nutty, nutty jack russells. Great !

Reading the Signs said...

What lovely photos. Those jars of stuff look just like the jelly that we make with the apples from our tree. I want a dog so much! But they need walks, and our cat would have a breakdown.

Potent wishes for strength in the school hols.

Cusp said...

Ah Signs, what you need is an old dog that don't need many walks like our dear old mutt. Yesterday he gave up before me --- thank God since I only really went out or him.

Many many thanks for your potent wishes. Last day of school is today so the fun starts now !

Is there a patron saint of parents in the school holidays, do you think, to whom I can build a little alter in some quiet place ?

Maybe you know of some beneficent Jewish saint ;-)

singinghawk said...

ahhhhh...to be a pig slumbering in the sun while watching the country folks meander by. THat is the life for me.

This country living looks wonderful -- from another era!

Amanda said...

Mm, so you look like a whippet? Lucky you! Our pet is a blue Burmese and unfortunately he takes after us...with a middle age spread caused by too much lounging around and too little exercise! Good luck for the hols.

Cusp said...

Well Anabananananakins you may well have to get used to it yourself now you're in the woods
;0)

Well Amanda I do look like our whippet but only in that I have a long(ish) face, brown eyes and I've got quite long legs but if you're thinking 'whippet thin' I'm afraid that's gone since the onset of ME. I look like our whippet because he's very old, greying at the temples , walks slowly and has a litte 'avoir du poids'. We both rather lovely in our own ways though and at least I don't pee on the floor yet ! ;0)

Amanda said...

Hehe! So glad to hear it!

Reading the Signs said...

I will think about this, Cusp. I don't thing there is such a thing as a Jewish saint. Is there? But whether or not, God is definitely on our side because - well, He just is. Or I don't know what.