Recently
Signs was commenting on one of
Flutter's posts and said how
PWME (peeps
wid M.E.) are part of the 'All Pain But No Gain' Club.
Funnily enough I was kind of spouting this phrase yesterday when my dear friend S. (the one who lives in the Commune) ventured out to visit us for lunch. This journey is no mean feat for her. She is a wheel chair user, has recently spent 15 months in bed and has only just begun to sally forth into the big wide world again. Her energy and pain levels are as fluctuating and precarious as mine.
Our meetings are arranged via innumerable e mails which gauge our respective energy levels, levels of near-suicidal boredom with our own surroundings, the amount of circular conversations we are having with the same people who happen to be around, or chickens, or cats or dogs and trying to come to a final decision about how to meet, our medical conditions and the World in general.
Anyway, yesterday we finally got it together and met here, had lunch and chatted away til the cows felt so at home that they came walking into the living room and settled in on the sofa
I have always had much respect for S. We have known each other for over 15 years and worked together for ten; hatching up many ludicrous and very amusing arts projects over that time. She has been a wheelchair user for over 30 years and been through many of the emotions I have experienced more recently whilst coming to terms with a new life thrust upon me. Before recently taking enforced early-retirement she kept up a relentless pace at work with good humour, grace, integrity and a real passion to do well by the people she worked for (people with learning disabilities).
We'd made arrangements for her to arrive here by about 10.30 --- giving us plenty of time to natter, have lunch and still leave time for me to have my daily sleep at 1.30. No matter how hard I try, I cannot get beyond the need for a long sleep mid-day. My energy levels are such that after few hours I sink into a sort of comatose dopedom --- like a sleepy bumble bee on a too-cold day, droning away in a kind of stumbling stupour.
Inevitably, things didn't work out the way we planned. I have been feeling pretty grim, of late, and even nearly called off our lunch date. I was feeling particularly dopey and untogether yesterday. However, I was aware that S was really looking forward to venturing out of her place and I didn't want to disappoint so went ahead. With so much to catch up on, and us being us, we nattered away, oblivious of time: me resting on the sofa and mumbling away like a kind of opiated Barbara Cartland dictating yet another novella.
Lunch wasn't started until 2.00 and by the time we finished it was 3.15. My chum had said several times that it was my nap time but I wasn't going to miss lunch and more 'catch-up' so I kind of (mis)quoted Signs
'.....I hardly ever get to see you now and there's no gain without pain'
After lunch I fell into bed and slept like
the dead -- happy-dead because I'd just had a bowl of apple cake and whipped cream and
enjoyed a
lovely conversation, but near-
dead all the same.
Today I'm really paying for it: dragged myself to the
library with my daughter, still feeling near dead and very giddy and putting on the brave face, so there is 'pain' --- but the gain of not disappointing a close friend and the lingering pleasure of a few hours
together after so long apart is gain enough for me.
11 comments:
I did exactly the same this morning. I was desperate to have at least an hour out of the house so I went on an ill-advised early trip to see my friends two bus journey's away. It was so good to see them it's almost worth the stabbing pain that's preventing me from standing up right now.
The physiotherapist I saw with my ME group said that sometimes good ME management isn't possible because life gets in the way. I've found it's good ME management that gets in the way of life.
It must be so horrible always having to decide on prserving energy or doing things that matter.
Hope you find time to rest and feel a bit brighter soon.
pxx
hey cusp, it's great you still met your friend even though you weren't quite feeling up to it, i'm sure was well worth it.
allow me to say hi to flutter, hey flutter, am a bit intrigued by 'ME management' group, it sounds so corporate!
with much experience behind me, i would say you yourself are the best manager of your illness. don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Hi All. Yep, sometimes it is better to throw caution to the wind and 'just do it'.
You're right Pixie, it can be horrible but the whole business becomes so much part of the fabric of one's life that it's just how it is really: accept it, work round it and make the best of things. Mind you I do sometimes envy your spontaniety.
Dear Cusp, As a fully, albeit unwillingly, paid-up member of the Club, I send heartfelt empathy over in your direction. The afternoon sleep is a killer, isn't it? Pure pain if you don't, but the hours after waking are pretty shite too, like coming round after a general anaesthetic or something.
Re. M.E. management - after more than two decades I still haven't cracked that one. I make plans, hope I can keep them, pay for whatever decision I take - and on we go.
Wishin you a cluster of small, good things to keep you going.
Sometimes the p.m. sleep is like a slug of lilac wine '....sweet and heady...' Other times it's as if one has ben thwacked over the head in bar brawl and just come back to consciousness
I find the worst post p.m. nap actiity is jumping (!...ha ha) into the car and driving to school for the end of day pick up and tryng to field the inane playground chat whilst coddled in a sleepy cawl.
(Please don't let on to the insurance companies what it's like to have to drive in that state. I cope by having the windows wide open in all weathers, the dashboard vents all open with balst of air and the radio on quite loudly.) It's enough to keep the dead alert !
Yes, how well I remember that - the after school pick-up: the time of day that was often the hardest. And being a Waldorfy parent I didn't even give myself permission to have kids TV at first - until I discovered the cosy togetherness of watching The Queen's Nose, The Demon Headmaster and Biker Grove.
And don't get me started on the nightmare that is Other Parents. Give yourself a medal from me, Cusp. There isn't an award that quite fits the bill.
Yep... and the other one used to be Brownies when it was too short a time to go back home and then out again and too long a time to kill once the library was shut.
Used to try and kill time in Asda (of all places) --- the only warm dry spot in town on a cold November evening other than the pub but since I can't drink and alcohol fumes aren't quite the done thing for Browinie's pick up......
Thank God daughter's bored with Brownies now and prefers the Youth Club that's 2 minutes drive away in the church hall: go home between drop off and collection and do a bit of blogging ;-)
I am glad you had such a lovely time catching up with a friend Cusp, but sorry that you had to pay a price for it.
Tell me, and forgive my ignorance, but is there a hope that you will regain your health and energy in the long term, or is it a big unknown?
Hi Kahless. Thanks for your warm comment. Regarding my health, well,with M.E, it's an unknown really but by and large people might get better than when they started but many never fully recover. It's been 7 years since I was diagnosed and I'm better than when I started too but the last 4 years have been a plateau so I don't think, realistically that there's much hope that I'll get better than I am now; all part of life's rich tapestry !
Hi Cusp,
I'm glad you were able to spend some time and catch up with a longtime friend! Hopefully you're feeling a little more rested by now! In terms of the "inane playground chat," it can definitely be annoying to be caught engaging in useless and pointless chatter when you'd much rather (or need to be) doing something else!
Post a Comment