Saturday, November 08, 2008

Dreadful Songs No. 4: All Kinds of Everything, Dana. Eurovision 1970 Ireland

Well....continuing a certain theme, here's another wimpy Irish warbler.

Now don't get me wrong. There are plenty of Irish people and aspects of Irish culture that I like BUT I cannot stand simpering, mawkish niceness from any race or culture and this has simpering mawkish sentimentality by the bucketful.

When this delightful ditty surfaced I was but a strippling...and even then I could have vomited on the spot every time I heard it or saw Dana's nicey, nicey smile and that viciously 'nice' hair slide. Don't you just long for her to break out into a sort of Heavy Metal version and tear off that dreadful frock to reveal ripped jeans and a lack T shirt with a Death's Head on it ? For God's sake woman, chill out !

What's amazing is that beneath the sugary exterior there must have been more mettle than first appeared because in later life she ran for President of Ireland [mind you there have been far greater dolts who've stood for Presidency in 'other countries' and won...even if their time is drawing to a close ;0) } Later she was an MEP.

Anyway I nominate this beautiful song as Dreadful Song No.4 and invite you to partake of a strong anti-emetic before listening or, if you are in a frail state at the moment, do feel free to postpone this life changing experience until you are feeling a little stronger.

Sláinte !

5 comments:

The Goldfish said...

I've always found this song deeply deeply sinister. It would seem pretty creepy sang by a six year old in pig-tails - you'd think that kid was up to something. But a grown woman? Shivers.

Reading the Signs said...

Oh come on - she's sweet! Life wasn't all Sex Pistols and Mean Streets in the 70's. Some of us would have given eye teeth for "dances, romances" etc. Even if we never said so.

But keep 'em coming, Cusp - life ain't easy in the wardrobe, and not a kunzel cake in sight, I can tell you.

Kahless said...

This is the worst so far Cusp; by far.

D Phoenix said...

OMG, I only made it to the 12 second mark! You've outdone yourself. It does seem creepy, Goldfish, I agree.

Digitalesse said...

Before Blondie, women in pop were very wimpy, like Olivia Newton-John and Mary Hopkins. I could never relate to them, these women without attitude.Chrissie Hynde's first album was the first time I'd heard songs that had some kind of relevance and meaning. She wasn't some submissive, passive little boy toy.