Sunday, November 02, 2008

DREADFUL SONG No.3: Enya - Orinoco Flow

Well, back from a short break. More of that later.... but for now I wanted to continue with my Dreadful Songs list.

Now, I know that for many people Enya can do no wrong but for me she can do no right with her dreadful, wimpy, pseudo-celtic drivvle...wibbling on lie a bad cold.

In the 80s this old tripe was everywhere. There seemed to be a taste for 'romantic' soft and especially celtic stuff. Maybe it was as a kind of antidote to all the desperate greed and consumption of the other 80s music: something calm and soothing -- except I never found this woman's work either of those things. I wanted to run around an Irish bog until I found herand apply gaffer tape to her mouth to shut her up.

At that point in time, you could bet your bottom dollar that if you went into a gift shop or some other emporium selling 'natural' stuff -- any natural stuff -- that this would be droning on in the background against the chinkedy chink of wind chimes and little models of dragons and wizards. Urghhhh!

All it ever was and is to me is some talentless woman dressed up in a bit of crushed velour looking miserable in a damp castle and warbling on about imagined fairytales and nature against a backing of synthesisers and multi tracking.

Can you tell I don't like her ;0) ?

8 comments:

The Goldfish said...

Oh, I have to object. I'm not keen on Enya and agree that it did get a little trying. However, compared to your choices so far, I think I could probably cope locked in a room and forced to listen to Orinoco Flow for several hours before I cracked and divulged state secrets - I don't think I'd get as far as the second chorus of Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep.

It is tripe, but it is benign. Like lift music.

Love your new colour scheme by the way.

Cusp said...

Ah but that's the point dearest Blobloblobloblo....it IS SOOOOO benign it drives me nuts: like being tortured by being fed too much bland food.

I long for that woman to just let rip and say a rude word in the middle of 'flowing'... or fart... or turn round and she's deliberately left the back of her skirt tucked in her knickers for a laugh. I cannot imagine Enya doing any of these things because she IS Sooooo nice.

Taeverso re. my new colour scheme

;0)

D Phoenix said...

I didn't mind this song the first time I heard it. It got to be painful when I heard it for the millionth time about two weeks after it was released. And the hundred million forced listen about six months later was a real breaking point for me. Another crime: everything she did after that was very similar and only served to plant in my brain good ol' Orinoco.

If I have Orinoco as an ear worm today you are in big trouble!

Kahless said...

Love your new blog look.

As for Enya....
*yawn*

Reading the Signs said...

Oh dear. I used to love this - not the vid, I never saw that, but the song. I think a spliff or two helps to kind of open it up because in the clear light of a spliffless existence I suppose it is rather banal. But on the other hand, I think I have a soft spot for a bit of banal. And I did always secretly like Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep.

Cusp said...

Hiya Donimo, Kahless and Signs.

Well seems like I'm not the only one who wishes poor old Enya would stay in her draughty castle and shut up.

D.: apologies if this dirge droned on for days after seeing it here

K.: 'yawn' indeed..... zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Signs: In the nicest possible way, dear, what are you doing over here? I thought you were either asleep on the top of a wardrobe or being creative in a dark and cosy place whilst wrapped round a Kunzel....what gives PoetryMother ??? !

Reading the Signs said...

I never said I wouldn't be spooking around though, did I? Have to keep an eye on things, I mean to say. I don't know what a kunzel is, never mind being wrapped round one.

Cusp said...

Aha so you are lurking afetr all....Whadaya mean you donlt knwo what a Kunzel is ? It was a very lovely cake that was served in posh Tea shops or brougt out when you visited Grandmama for tea. Each little cake was a different shape chocolate case and had spongey stuff at the bottom and then filled with creamy goo in a pastel colour and topped with a jelly sweet or chocolate button. Yum !

http://uktv.co.uk/food/thread/threadid/23400