Monday, May 11, 2009

Brain Nicholson: another person with M.E. sectioned under the Mental Health Act

As we are about to go into ME Awareness Week you might like to be aware and spare a thought for poor Brian Nicholson who has been sectioned under the mental health act for delusional illness beliefs in relation to ME.

Brian also has POTS and it seems that, having failed to gain proper medical help and treatment, he was effectively abandoned by medical professionals. Brian then tried to help himself by upping his intake of water (which is partly helpful for people with POTS). It was then thought that the amount of water he was drinking was dangerously high and warranted a diagnosis of abnormal illness belief and subsequently sectioning under the Mental Health Act

What an appalling state of affairs. Pray to God he doesn't end up like poor Sophia Mirza

If you want to know more about Brian, support him and let him know you are thinking of him visit the Support group at Facebook


Sometimes the psychiatric profession have a lot to answer for with their imperious manner and delusional belief in complete and infallibele judgement.

5 comments:

Reading the Signs said...

shocked by both these stories - thanks for publicising.

nmj said...

cusp, i have now joined the brian nicholson facebook group - what the hell is happening to this poor guy, where can we read more? x

greenwords said...

Haven't seen the facebook group yet but I just read about this elsewhere, it is truly diabolical. Have any of the medical numpties thought to test him for Diabetes Insipidus yet? (Dr Paul Cheney has said in the past that about 50% of his patients show low-level DI.)

Digitalesse said...

A shocking story.

The old 'illness beliefs' crap rears its ugly head yet again.

Apparently I have 'postural hypotension' but my GP insists that the lower my blood pressure the better. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to live with these symptoms on the QT, otherwise I may end up being sectioned!

Kahless said...

I am gobsmacked and like Signsie shicked, and horrified.