Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Dolls to Nicaragua

If you've a mind, you might like to mosey on over to CraftHope.com.

It's a site about a web-based project encouraging people to make items for disadvantaged and children. The current project is about making rag dolls for children who live in an orphanage in Nicaragua.

I made this oneAl the dolls had to have brown skin, brown eyes and black or brown hair so that they resemble the children who will 'adopt' them. I didn't have any brown material to hand so I dyed some calico with coffee and vanilla. She's got black wool hair from some boucle wool I had over so I made them into a pony tail which looks kind of dread-locky. She's not perfect but Craft Hope isn't looking for perfection --- just simple items made with love.. In the past they've needed clothes.

I think it's a lovely idea and even though I had to send the doll to the US for shipping off to Nicaragua it only cost £2.50

If you've time and a needle and thread go and take a look.

5 comments:

willow said...

Cusp, this is a LOVELY doll!! The colours are vibrant and she has such a happy face! What a wonderful thought. A young girl in Nicaragua is going to *love* this doll.

When my daughter was younger the two of us made many tiny dolls, two bears and a host of other things. Nothing was perfect, but we loved them all :) We had a library book with patterns for a miniature rag doll family. The Little Fields lived in the dolls house with many other critters :)

Poesie said...

Sehr schön, Cuspchen. I like to meet zis lovely doll even zo she ist not monkey. Some child vill be verry heppy :)

Cusp said...

Thank you Willow. It was a bit rushed really but I hope a little one likes it.

Ach Poesie...so schon to see you hier again. Danke schon (can't do umlauts on this laptop)

Amanda said...

She is gorgeous! I'm sure some little girl will love her very much.

Kahless said...

You are so wonderful and creative Cusp. What a lovely doll; I am sure a chil will shower that doll with loads of love.