Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Awful or not ?: Tina Charles - I Love To Love (1976)

Part of me thinks I really should regard this as awful old schlock because it's so repetitive and because of Tina's hard voice but I still love it for all the memories of warm summers and nearly falling off my platforms when I was going out on the town in the 70s.

Happy Times and a happy song

6 comments:

nmj said...

i was only 12, i wasn't allowed platforms - i got them when i was 13 though - with a kind of straw weave wedge. DISGUSTING!! what the hell is tina wearing - it looks like a fancy overall you'd put on to clean the bathroom.

Cusp said...

Well I dare say in 1976 Tina thought she looked very chic -- kind of smock top over a dress. Aren't all those straw weave-y wedge things coming back in ? I remember my glamorous older cousin having some very high basket-weave wedges and marvelling at how she managed to squeeze her long legs into her MG Midget and drive in them (the shoes ...not the legs...if you see what I mean.

I guess this song does have a different meaning if you were 12 but if you were 18 it was quite nice to sway to on a warm summer evening after a few vodka oranges !

Digitalesse said...

Thanks for reviving that memory, Cusp. I rather enjoyed the innocence of the era, memories of school discos, early experiments with makeup and embarrassing 'fashions' from What Every Woman Wants.

Kahless said...

I cant play vids on my lappie at the moment.

So I cant comment, except to say "hi".

I hope the dentist nightmare is over.

{{{{hugs}}}}

Amanda said...

Oh yes, I remember this one too, although it wasn't one of my favourites. In 1976 I turned 14. What amazes me is how daggily the women singers dressed at that time. While the men were stomping around, glamming it up and being androgynous, the women were wearing the same pretty "frocks" we might wear to school dances. They seem so unsophisticated in comparison.

seahorse said...

I love it. And I wish I had your memories to go with it! Sounds like fun, and sounds like I was born a decade or two too late :-)
(Can you do me a playlist of all your cool French chanteuses and 60s and 70s stuff pls...email it me and I'll play it in my garden over the summer)xx