Yesterday we went with the kids to a Wood Fair --- set in a big Country Park with lots of stalls selling wood-related stuff and jugglers, sculpture, painting etc etc.
In this part of Suffolk and Essex there was always a tradition of real hippy fairs in the 70s and 80s. There was Rougham Tree Fair, the Rainbow Fair in Deham Vale and others too and we always went. There was still the essence of 60s hippydom around with lots of little children running naked, long hair, the smell of dope in the air, wierd dancing, funky old vans and coaches painted in lurid colours and patterns, dogs running about and food stalls where everything seemed to contain beans and onions, soya or dates.
What was interesting yesterday was that this event was based on that model. Indeed the organiser, who is well known in these-here parts, has been a part of this Fair tradition for nearly as long as the Green Man himself has been about. Except, except it's all been tidied up and cleaned up and commercialised and refined. Now, there are still caravans in bright colours but they're professionally restored gypsy 'caras' and the people 'living' in them seem to be playing a role rather than being who they are. (They actually just stay in them while you're there and go in their Motor Homes for the night and then return to a proper house when the event is over). There are still stalls but instead of freely creative, unusual stuff there's 'nice' garden furniture at incredible prices. There were wonderful scupltures for anyone to enjoy but only two and the rest were for sale from £250 up.
Even the food caters more for the 'new' visitors who come now. They arrived in 4x4s, Land Rovers, Audis and some came with lovely Cath Kidson picnic sets and Lakeland accessories. Instead of mung bean stew, alfalfa on rye , there's a selection of 'scrummy' cakes made from organic ingredients that look like something from a Delia or Jane Asher shoot and each slice is £3 or more.
I'm probably old and grumpy, cynical and jaded but the refining of the original events seems sad to me. The air of freedom and spontaneity has gone. The feeling of sharing and companionship and people being themselves has gone. Instead we're left with a dumbed down version of the past where the sole reason is to make money and to tailor the whole thing so it cannot be offensive to anyone. Although it was a lovely day, lovely weather, lovely setting it was all homogenised and I could have been at any other lovely event: rather like the way that every town centre now looks the same and any originality or flair has been ironed out.
9 comments:
Hi Cusp!
I know it's been awhile since I stopped by here...it seems this blogging thing can take up an enormous amount of time with all the bloggers out there.
You always have such vulnerable and sensitive posts. It's really a breath of fresh air to me, given that a lot of people tend not to reveal as much in that way.
I understand what you're saying in this post. The watering down of a bygone age has been happening here, in the US for years now, too. I grew-up in the 70's and things back then had that kind of feel that you are referring to...kind of hippie style and small community/family oriented atmosphere. When there were fairs and the like, there was always a very down to earth and natural feel to them. And it was not so much about making money, as it was just sharing with each other. Now, it is very commercialized and with that comes a distancing among people and community. I definitely feel that here and in most places that I've been to in the US...all the states here have that very homogenized feel. It is sad, but I think a product of capitalism.
I will be back, Cusp, to read your other posts...
Cheers to you and your wonderful sensitivity!
Ana
Hi Ana, Thanks for dropping by. I guess this comodifictaion of everything is something that afflicts the whole Western world.
I've only been to the U.S. once a long time ago in Autumn 1980. We spent 3 months travelling around the N.E and into Canada. At that time the UK was a very different place (very dull and grey and sort of closed down and repressed) and, at first, the US seemed really exciting --- like living in the movies -- but gradually the novelty waned and I longed for ordinary things like proper bread.
I guess one of the difficulties was living on the road and eating almost exclusively in Dennnys, Dunkin' Donuts etc. etc. ---I was a vegetarian even then and I have never eaten so many toasted cheese sandwiches in my life !
My one abiding memory of bliss was one day when we had had days of eating crisps and apples, diner food and cans of TAB and came across a wholefood bakery in Burlington, Vermont. That area seemed to be full of old hippies and alternative lifestyles and I felt at home with my hennaed hair, clogs, army surplus bag and funky earrings ---three in each ear (this look had gotten very strange reactions in Boston and D.C.).
We sat there on the grass in glorious sunshine with a perfect blue sky eating hand baked wholemeal bagels with alfala sprouts and butter and it was heaven. I realy felt I never wanted to move. I wonder if it's still like that now or if the preppy lot moved in later in the decade and tidied it all up. I do hope not.
I don't think it's cynical or jaded to want the read thing - whatever that is. It sounds as though what was being delivered was ersatz, and that can never nourish the soul as much as the real thing. The thing is, everything changes and people hang on to a version of the past that was once vibrant instead of finding out what is really the spirit of now - the authentic real thing. I remember once, at one of those kinds of fairs (everything costing a fortune), I turned up and set up a makeshift stall where I offered everyone free drinks. A small good thing, but also subversive. The organisers were not amused. Which just showed up what was really lacking.
The setting up of a stall that is more akin to 'the real thing' in the midst of a more commercial event is a nice twist and, in the minds of people like us, subversive. What's interesting is that, as you mention, the *authentic* real thing in 2007 is (possibly) what's going on NOW.
I suppose that what is going on now is that people want/expect a Fair that is 'tidied up' ---- to them that sort of event is a proper Fair and the real deal. What we remember as 'real' and vibrant would maybe look shoody and amateur to them --they might feel short-changed. There's also the fact that when we went to those Fairs in the 60s and 70s we were young and the shabbiness either went unnoticed or was enjoyed as being authentic and hip.
Many of the people on Sunday were in their 30s and 40s with youngish children. They were Thatcher's children and more used to commercialism and things being done in a professional way. After all, who on earth would want some hippy-herbert trying to share something of himself with you, when he could make a buck out of you. We all know there's no such thing as 'Society' don't we ?
Time goes on and tastes and fashions change. Even our memories are clouded by the mists of nostalgia.
I don't know which is really better but I like the kind of honesty I remember and prefer individuality to what I saw on Sunday.
Hi Cusp,
I remember the Rainbow Fair very fondly. I only went once - I was 17 and it was just before I moved away from my parents (and the area)- but it was a real eye-opener for me at that tender age. I was particularly surprised by the friendliness and the (body-painted) nudity. It was the post-punk/New Wave era, Thatcher had been elected two years earlier, and there was a real sense of it being something from a bygone age, a curio. But I remember loving it, and it was a very cheap day's enjoyment/relaxation.
There's been nothing like it since. I've been to the Big Green Gathering three times, and it costs a fortune, not only to be there, but to buy your meals at the concesssionary stands. I could never have afforded to go as a teenager. The BGG is probably less "commercial" than some festivals but to be honest I only felt it as something spiritual the very first time I went (and that was probably because I was newly in love, and unused to being stoned!)
Well hello WofB. Good to see you here and from what you say I guess you might have originally hailed from these here parts.
Yes, the Rainbow Fait was lovely. Working out the dates I was almost certainly at the one you mention: small world. I guess the friendliness was what struck you there and the genuine sharing of stuff.
Drop by again
:-)
I remember visiting the Albion fairs at Rougham which were good fun but it is mostly a blur now. What sticks in the mind is related to trees
Several people were living in trees for the week end and there was plenty of tree hugging.
List was in the late 70's and there was a good mix of hippies and punks at the events.
Hi BuryBlue and welcome. Are you a BSE Bury Blue ?
Seems wierd now when you drive through or past Rougham that that lifetyle was all there 30 years ago: another world.
The fairs may have gone but the memories and inspiration remains - www.fairsarchive.org.uk
Post a Comment