Saturday, July 14, 2007

Birthday Trip








Well as Ana has kind of let the cat out of the bag (see comments on last post) I shall own up to having celebrated my birth last week.

I'm funny about birthdays: not the ageing process. I'm just happy if I can get through a day feeling unscathed and enjoy what's offered by the Great Beyond., but I do feel funny about telling people about my birthday in case they feel obliged to say nice things or give me things when they don't really want to.

Anyroadup, this birthday was jolly good and lasted two days because my lovely partner had arranged a secret trip for me. I was driven to Ipswich with my two children (who had permission to stay off school for the afternoon) and at the new Marina we were met by my bro-in-law and his wife (she of the green hair ! --- though it now has purple, pink and turquoise mixed in too) and two old friends.
We boarded a little boat and had a cruise down the Orwell River past all the little villages and under the Orwell Bridge (a real Suffolk landmark) and down into the Felixstowe and Harwich Docks. It was really lovely --- lovely surprise, lovely weather, lovely company and, for a few short hours, I could pretend that I could do this sort of thing anytime. I love to be near the water ---rivers, sea, lakes --- and it's something I miss most of all since I was ill so this was a real treat

These two old hulks have been resting near the bridge for 7 years. I teased my friend who was with us: we're exactly the same age (birthdays two days apart) and he's not always in the best of health. I said these boats were the two of us waiting for rescue.




Passing under the Orwell Bridge







......................and seeing it from a distance



For some reason I love lightships and lighthouses but this one is really special.

It served time as one of the Radio Carolines moored off the Essex Coast.

Happy memories of listening to the Pirate Radio stations when I was a child.



Sometimes don't you just wish you could sail away ?

I'd choose this to sail away on


15 comments:

Kahless said...

Happy Belated Birthday, from a fellow Essex girl.

Cusp said...

Well thank you Kahless and welcome over here. We 'Essex-ers' must stick together ! Everyone thinks the County is just full of old white Fords and chavs. Nobody knows the lovely countryside or the nice bits of the coast.

Having said that, I've now lived in Suffolk longer than in Essex wher I was born and brought up.

Sally said...

Lovely pics, lovely ships; happy belated birthday.

Reading the Signs said...

This all sounds, and looks, lovely - especially the surprise element of it. I have now decided to order a surprise birthday event for myself. Yes, I know one shouldn't ask for them, but -

I wish you joy in the coming year.

x

Cusp said...

Dear Sally and Signs, Thank you for your kind wishes. Yes it was all lovely. I'm not ususally very good at surprises either --sound a right misery don't I ? -- but this was great --- not too big a surprise and all the people I love best in the world.

When's your birthday then, Signs ?

The Goldfish said...

Belated happy birthday!

That lightship is very special to me. As children growing up in Ipswich, we used to like to spot it on the river - I think it used to spend most of it's time at the docks. It was always a bit of a treat to walk or drive home from somewhat via the docks to look at the ships.

That part of the river also means a lot to me as I went to high school at Wolverstone Hall (Ipswich High School), - you may have seen it from the river - our cross-country running used to take us down to the river. I also used to do the Orwell Walk pretty much every year, the last time being just over a month before I got sick.

I can't get terribly nostalgic about Ipswich, but the River Orwell is rather special. Thanks for sharing this. :-)

Cusp said...

Hi Goldfish. Thanks for dropping by. I'm glad you liked the photos and that they bring back happy memories.

We all really enjoyed spotting 'places of memory' on the trip: Shotley, Nacton shores (picnics), Pin Mill,landmarks at Harwich. I have lovely memories of the light ships too: had relative sin Dovercourt when I was little and we used to watch them at Harwich harbour and I've taken groups out onto them in the past.

If you could make the trip you really should. If not you can enjoy a cyber version here:
http://www.orwellrivercruises.co.uk/cyber_cruise.htm.

Not quite the same but you get to spot places you know.

Fancy you going to the High School. Are you posh ? ;-)

The Goldfish said...

He he, not posh no. I had an 'assisted place' which was kind of like a scholarship for kids from hard up families (which I guess mine was circa 1990). Even at eleven I fancied myself a socialist and made a tremendous fuss about going, but in the end it was quite fun. The school did have a bit of a St. Trinians/ Hogwarts vibe, and it was a beautiful place to have an education.

Cusp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cusp said...

Ah but you've come out posh haven't you ? I can tell. The air of refinement is seeping through the screen.

I bet you eat your fish and chips off a plate rather than the paper and always get the fish knives out . :-))

Rabbit said...

Happy belated Birthday to you, it looks like you had such a nice day! I Love all the photos. Thanks for the comment on my blog. It's nice to know that other people know what I mean and that I haven't completely lost the plot :)

Cusp said...

Thank you Rabbit and nice to see you here again.

No you haven't lost the plot. Birthdays are funny things anyway and illness or anything that affects the supposedly celebratory mood just makes the whole business wobble 'more'.

Luckily for me this year's birthday was one of the easiest and nicest I've had in a long while

singinghawk said...

What a wonderful birthday present! I absolultely love the water...whether a river, the bay, the ocean, a creek...and, yes, I would love to just sail away. I used to go sailing quite a bit...but that was another lifetime.

Love the photos, Cusp, and it sounds as if you had a great day.

Happy, happy, belated birthday! Hope you feel much peace and wellness this year.

The Goldfish said...

Oh, I only get the fish knifes out if we're eating in the Wednesday Persian Dining Room. ;-)

I did lose my Ipswich accent; I used to be teased for being a yokel. So mostly I have no accent except for the odd Suffolk word and, following seven years in Yorkshire, the odd Northern inflection.

Well done for doing the Meme so quickly!

Cusp said...

See, I KNEW you was posh