Monday, August 06, 2007

Chickens and Awards





We have had some stunning weather of late with the apple tree heavy with fruit and the hens producing more offspring.













Here are the latest two, Blackbum and Bumble with their Mum Snowbell


They've been having very educational morning activities; learning how to forage for seeds and scraps, learning how to move across treacherous lumpy ground, learning how to keep up with Mum and each other and not to lose one another in this great big place the big NoFeathers call a run


But occasionally it all goes wrong and they are left high and dry




There are other chicks too. This little chap belongs to Speckle


...and his sibling

'You looking at me...are ya ?'






In the end of course this flourishing of chicks is all down to these chaps




*********************************************************************************


......and on a completely different tack I am amazed and delighted to tell you that the lovely Prada Pixie has selected me for an award. It really does mean a lot because some of you
might remember that this is in fact a revived blog, in as much as after a 6 month run in 2005 I gave up and decided it was a waste of time. Now second time round it is much more fun thanks to the blogging chums I have encountered.




Dear old Pixie hath bestowed the




to me because she says I '...bring (sic) endless bad taste music to my (sic) site and deals with ME with amazing fortitude......' Well I'm not sure about the latter but I do try my best with the former :-)) .




The Awards come via the Writers Review and according to the rules I must now nominate five other people for an award so here goes:


I nominate Feltbug for the Inspirational Bloggers Award for all the work she puts in to scouring the Internet and finding the most artwork which inspires and informs


I nominate Azirca at Speak without my Voice for the Creative Bloggers Award for her persistence in maintaining her creative spirit against the odds


I nominate Maggie at Liverpool Leftovers for the Courageous Bloggers Award for the way she has managed to keep blogging despite her own illness and caring for others at home and in the M.E. community (most people, I think, do not realise that she also does an awful lot for PWME behind the scenes)


I nominate Ana at Singing Hawk for the Creative Bloggers Award because of her inspirational and beautiful images but also because she questions the warring ways of the world continually but is also never afraid to have a fun with her blog and blogging chums. The sublime and the ridiculous co-exist in Ana World


I nominate Abide and Watermark (same blogger) for the Inspirational Bloggers Award for her beautifully crafted blog full of inspiration, creativity and courage in the face of M.E.




See I can be quite sensible when I want to be !! x

14 comments:

singinghawk said...

awwwwww...those chicks are so cute! -- makes me yearn for country living seeing all of these lovely photos.

And the award! I'm afraid my blog is entirely ridiculous and insane these days, Cusp! Maybe inspirational will return after I've found my head again. But, of course, I am so honored that you would choose me for such a lovely award. Is there a monetary gift included? -- a gold plaque? a certificate? ....ohhh it is okay, the thought is golden...thank you, Cusp...you are a sweet, sweet woman! kiss for you.

and, yes, you can be sensible too...as well as a crazy, but demure and ladylike, loon.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Ana! And yes there are a lot of zany posters at her blog. Us normal conservative dainty types can be taken aback.

Reading the Signs said...

Well if she hadn't, I would have had to - for the Barbie frauleins alone. I can't get the tunes out of my head, you know, and I've sent them on to a couple of people so very soon the whole country will be vibrating to "so ist ein boy" and the hamster thing.

Beautiful chicken photos, and your apple tree looks just like mine. We pulled some of the fruit down this weekend.

Cusp said...

Dear Ana, you're more than welcome but I reallyreallyreally would like to see some more of your lovely artwork when you have a mind. As Thankwee says, us normal (*???!*) conservative dainty types do appreciate th'ole paintings of mermaids, the moon and such.

Thank you Thankwee for popping over --- even if it was primarily out of noseiness to have a look at what Ana had been awarded (!). Incidentally you have many fine works of art on your site too.

Ah, dear Signs. I'm beginning to feel responsible for your mental health since I appear to be the one who is 'turning you.' My carer's cloak is beginning to re-assemble itself about my shoulders. What have I done ?
Now you're plagued by(or even worse enjoying !) strange german 60s scholk and sharing it with other people. I only meant to provide a little light-hearted whimzie and I've turned you into a dealer.

V. sweet of you to support Pixie's nomination.

Kahless said...

Hi Cusp,
yes delightful chicks. If you don't mind me asking, aside from the eggs, do you also eat the chicks?

And congratulations on your award; very well deserved. You give the ole county a good name.

Cusp said...

Hi Kahless. Yes they are sweet aren't they.

Do we eat the chicks?....EAT THE CHICKS !!!!!? --- hush your mouth child. Don't you bring your heathen Essex ways to this blog ! ;-))

As committed vegetarians of some 30 years we don't the chicks. Anyway what would be the point ? ... not much meat on the poor little souls.

We don't eat the chickens either, or the cockerel or the rabbit, guinea pig or dog...or goldfish...or children. We just stroke our pets, feed them, clean them and pay out exorbitant amounts to the local vet when they are ill, dying or mailingering for the sake of it.

We do eat the eggs though and they are stonkingly good. We also give them away to friends. Every autumn when the chicks have grown and we have far too many for our patch we give away the 'teenagers' to people who want them and in particular to a local chap who has 2 acres where they roam to their heart's content.

Thank you for congratulations. I am really chuffed.

fluttertongue said...

I am lost for words - I have issues with cute things. I almost can't cope with the cuteness. Thanks you!

Feltbug said...

Thankyou very much dear Cusp - I send you warm hugs and thankyou :)

azirca said...

Thank you so much for the nomination, that really means a lot to me, I shall display it with pride.

Apologies for not popping over sooner but things haven't been good around here of late. I am so sorry Cusp, I have lost your email address, when you have the time could you email me please? azirca@gmail.com

Thanks again, I really am humbled.

Kahless said...

lol. I was teasing of course Cusp. ;-)

I too have a menagerie of animals in my household and certainly would be a vegetarian if I liked vegetables.

Cusp said...

.....but Kahless, dear, it's the principle of the thing...no matter whether you like vegetables and legumes. For the sake of all our furry friends you must try to love a brassica: honestly they're terribly good for one. Think of all that character building roughage.

Personally, every morning I always have a brisk walk naked in the fields before consuming a large bowl of mung beans and a wholegrain rusk followed by a cold shower, a good thrashing with birch twigs and two hours of chanting. Did I mention that we are also self suficient for energy: mainly methane based.

How about you ? Two pork chops, eggy bread and a chortle at Mr. Wogan I suppose ! ;-))

Dear me....do look at your own principles and try to align your lifestyle with your beliefs like me: only 30 odds years with a chronic illness and a bad problem with flatulence.

Toodle pip !

Kahless said...

Cusp,
Firstly I must embarassingly admit that I had to use google to find out what brassica is!
Errhem.

I guess I could live off pizza and chocolate but probably wouldn't do much good for my complexion.

Actually, I dont eat too much meat and we try to eat organic as much as possible.

On an average day (or should I say most days as I am a creature of extreme habit)

No breakfast.
Ham and salt and vinegar crisp roll for lunch.
Chicken curry (I make myself out of fully organic ingredients, except the accompanying noodles (I dont like rice.))
If not curry for tea then either Pizza or a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes.

At weekends may have a bacon buttie for breakfast with plum tomatoes!

Mind you we have 25 tomato plants outside which are now cropping so tomato soup will be the order of the day for the next month or so.

Toodle pip cusp!

p.s.
I hear charcoal biscuits is good for wind! Must be all those beans.
;-)

Cusp said...

There I knew it....a carnivore's dream ! and no breakfast.

NO BREAKFAST !!!!!!!!: you need breakfast dear.....even if it's a small bowl of wheat grass and boiled barley water...lovely, my favourite!!

Right I'll leave you to your bacon roll whilst I go out onto the decking for my sixth pilates sessions since waking. Then it's back indoors for a weight bearing session and a Mars bar, tube of Pringles and a four of those lovely big eclairs that Tesco do,,,,,,,,,,oops.....joking of course....I mean a glass of prune juice and a stoneground rusk.

Cheers :-)))

Maggie said...

Thank you so much for the award.

Sorry it's taken me so long to come and visit, but was totally kanackered after the funeral. Day in bed on the Friday, then off to Abersoch for a week on Sunday.

Had intended to organise broadband at the caravan this summer, but with everything that's happened didn't get around to it. So stuck on emergency dial-up, so only downloaded mail and checked the weather forecast and shipping forecast each day.

Glad to be home, but we have mice again - John is intending to try and clear the shed when we get some dry weather as he thinks there's prob a nest in there. Aarrgghhh!

Hope to get back to blogging soon, but will have to rest up and do some laundry first!

Hugs from sunny Liverpool, 800 years young today! :-)