Friday, August 31, 2007

Your children, my children and responsibilities

Well the school hols are nearly over and in the air I can feel mixed emotions: some kind of relief that I won't have the pressure of trying to manage all the extra activity on my meagre levels of energy --which are almost at rock bottom now ; some kind of guilt that I feel some relief; some kind of ache that the little monkeys wont be around all the time; some kind of fear and trepidation from the little monkeys because they are going back to school ...and in the case of girl monkey to a new and bigger school.

Having children is such a mixture of instinct, love, your own upbringing, the social pressures of the time you live in, your own childhood. It's like a trifle made with fruit cocktail: it looks lovely and is in layers but there are also bits of fruit which are difficult to stomach and digest (in my case that would be those ghastly little grapes that you only ever find in fruit cocktail).

You may remember the dear soul who asked if my partner was my carer in the most toe curling manner some weeks back. For much of this holiday she has been about and around and so have her children. She doesn't actually live here but her mother does and so she is often nearby with her children. Quiet often her children are here with her mother and without her. Her mother is elderly and disabled. Her mother has her own problems. The woman herself has her own issues. She will also do anything to find other people to keep an eye on her children because she has her own 'issues' and simply cannot cope. We feel a certain sympathy for her...and a certain anger that she will sometimes find all sorts of ways to offload her children. They have spent a lot of time here this week: their grandmother has been away and so their mother has been house sitting and hence her children have been with us more than her.

There are two children: a girl who is diligent and quiet and a good friend to my daughter. She is also already at the school my daughter is about the attend and will help her to settle in. There is also a little boy who is a tiny little ruffian with the naughtiest smile who is a little gem but can be very irritating as he knows no boundaries ! (though often, even when he's been naughty, you have to put on your best stern face because you really just want to laugh and/or give him a cuddle!)

Last night an example of his mother's concern and care came to light.

All the children had cycled up the road to play. They all cycled back at tea time and our two stayed here because their tea was ready. The little scrap wanted to stay for tea too but we have been feeling that we must occasionally put our foot down and encourage his Mum to give him his tea herself, so we phoned her and said W. is here and is his tea ready ? No she said. W. says he wants to go back up the road then ..but he will be alone because our two are staying here to eat. That's OK she says...he'll be all right. We think...will he ?....how much responsibility do we/ should we have to take ? No, on balance, he probably will be OK. He's not our kid and it's not for us to judge.

Five minutes later the clouds gather and it looks like it will pour with rain. We phone 'Mum' and say W is still up there and it looks like rain. You really should go and get him. I can't leave the dogs on their own she says. We raise our eyes to heaven and debate what to do. We're sick of taking responsibility for her kids and shepherding her but we like the kids and feel sorry for her and them. We know the only way to get people to take responsibility is to hand it back to them so we decide to let her get on with it and start to eat tea.

Two mouthfuls in, the phone rings. It's 'Mum'...she is almost hysterical. W. has fallen off his bike and cracked his head open. Someone has seen what happened and brought him and his bike home in their car ... His head is bleeding and she doesn't know what to do. We down tools and utensils and partner ( a trained First Aid-er) goes up and takes a look. It's a tiny cut, but as is the way with scalp wounds there's loads of blood. Partner cleans the wound and advises Calpol, lying down and a close eye for the next half hour. Mum was going to phone for an ambulance and is puffing Lambert and Butler all over him.

Half an hour later Mum phones and W is OK. Drama over.

Should we have let him stay here when they came back for tea. Should we have gone to get him when Mum said she couldn't leave the dogs. How much responsibility do you take for other people's children, for other people's mistakes, for your own ?

What would you do ?

11 comments:

Maggie said...

So what's wrong with bringing the dogs with her? Do them good to have a walk.

Last day of summer, and it's windy grey and drizzly over here - think we might light a fire this evening! Well, it is my birthday.

We plan to drink the champagne we bought for our wedding anniversary in June if I can stay awake for long enough.

Penny L. Richards said...

"I can't leave the dogs on their own, she says." But her kid can be left out in the rain unsupervised... nice. Hope he'll be back in school soon, where somebody (besides kind and concerned neighbors like you) is paying attention to his well-being.

Cusp said...

Hi Maggie.....Happy Birthday. If you can't stay awake long enough, get your chap to wake you again just long enouhg for a sip ;-)

Welcome Penny. Sad isn't it...we feel he'll be better off when school is back. His Mum does love him in her way....she just can't seem to get the gist of how to protect him well enough sometimes. Be glad to see you again

Fire Byrd said...

I agree with Penny.
And you are in a no win situation here. You won'tdo right for wrong! Got no useful advice so I'll quit.
px

Kahless said...

Hi Cusp,
I am not a parent so take my opinion with a pinch of salt. I think you were in a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. I think you choose the right option. That ladies child is NOT your responsibility when you clearly had informed her of the situation. She appears to be an irresponsible mother. There is only so much you can do.

You were put in an awful situation.

singinghawk said...

That's a tough one, Cusp... strange that "mum" seems more worried about the dogs than her boy. Lots of irresponsible parents out there... I don't really have any good advice, but I see the dilemma. The more you and your partner are willing to help "mum" take care of her son, the more she will expect it from the both of you. Perhaps you should be direct with her and let her know how you feel about the situation?

azirca said...

I am in the same position as kahless, I am also not a parent but I also agree with what she said.
You couldn't have done anymore than what you did. Maybe this occurrence might make the mother think a little bit more and not put her son in this situation again. Probably not, but who knows?

fluttertongue said...

Here's my input - though again I'm not a mother so I'm not the best judge. However, I have seen my share of struggling mothers, mostly through mediation. Clearly the mother cares, as she demonstrates by her hysteria at the boys fall. The fact that she called you, however, instead of taking him home and cleaning him up shows that she isn't confident in her own ability to make decisions or to cope with the pressures of being a good mother. Probably, somewhere in there, she sees your children and knows you are a good mother and potentially under the mistaken impression that just because you are good at it means that it's not hard for you and that two extra isn't a chore. I'm going to disagree with the tide of opinion and say that it would be a bad thing to try to push the kids back as they will assume that they are not wanted either at yours or with her. Instead, a word with her when they are not around to explain that you can't cope with looking after them for as much time as she would like may be a better route.
Though it may be the case that she's not such a great mum, you, as someone she respects to the extent that she is happy to leave her kids with you, by implying to her that she is overstepping the mark, are reaffirming her lack of confidence in her mothering abilities.
By gently explaining that you have difficulties too, you may help her to realise that its possible to take responsibility for your children even if you have difficulty sometimes.

I may have read this wrong! You know the situation better than I and are a much better judge.

Cusp said...

Thank you all. It's very heartening to know that you've taken such trouble to ponder this situation and reply. The 'what would you do?' at the end of the post was almost rhetorical but it's really interesting to know what you all think.

In actual fact, I think Fluttertongue is nearest the mark; though all your contributions are very valuable. The mother is lacking in confidence in her ability to deal with situations regarding her children. She has actually asked us several times about 'how would/how do you deal with a situation like 'x'?' She does, undoubtedly, love her kids too. As FT says this is demonstrated by her hysteria when W hurt himself. She shows her love in other ways too and can also be very sweet to our kids . She's just needy and lacking in confidence. Because we know all this it's hard to be cross because we know her actions aren't based on cruelty but lack of insight, confidence and education.

As I said she doesn't live here. She's been house-sitting for the week and goes home today --- though she and the kids will be visiting regularly --- so a chat with her may not be necessary or will have to happen later. In the meantime we just maintain a friendly and open tone and keep an eye when necessary.

Reading the Signs said...

What a story, Cusp. What would I do? Well first off, I was never as obliging as you appear to be, and looking after other people's kids was off the agenda. This was not a house where children would gather - it's too tiny and I just couldn't cope with that. I'd even have to explain to parents that I couldn't always offer "return" visits when mine went to spend time at theirs. One friend's mother kept trying to manipulate a situation where I would take care of her son regularly before and after singing practice (and give supper and bring home) and I finally told her "sorry, but I don't do childcare." Yep, it didn't win me many "friends".

Cusp said...

Hi Signs. Yes I know it was a bit of a saga and the last week has doen for me really. I'm just about creeping along and waiting for Wednesday when things get back to a more normal routine and I can manage my energies better.

I'm afraid this story is typical. We attract waifs and strays. We both always have. One close friend laughed when we said last week that we were sick of all these people in our house.

'You shouldn't make everyone so welcome' she said...and she's right.