Usually I don't like Judy Garland. The voice is to shrill, the sentiment too overbearing and the fragility too real. The Rescuer in me feels I must stand by the speakers with a bucket to catch the tears, an arm to wrap round her shoulder and a soothing balm.
In the case of this song I feel differently. In many ways this is one of the very few Christmas songs I really like --- apart from some ancient and traditional carols. This song speaks of a reality to me: the bitter sweet nature of Christmas with all the fun and festivity against a backdrop of memories, good and bad, happy and sad; the people there and the people missing --- lost from our lives through bad judgement, lack of care, happenstance or death.
There's a terrible poignancy about this song for me and only Judy's version does it justice -- not because of her own pain per se but because of that tremulous timbre and because of the pain and experience that informs it. I also love the images in the video. Judy never looked more like a painting --- a construct of some Director's dream and the artful attention of the studio make-up artists, lighting director and costume designer. The little girl is just the right side of mawkish for me. Now and then even I can do 'mawk'.
So here's wishing you, whoever you are, blogging chum or new arrival --- a Merry Little Christmas. For many of us I know it has been a year of struggle. Here's hoping that 2010 will be better brighter and full of good cheer.
5 comments:
I'll never think about this song the same way again! Thanks for your insights. And have a merry little Christmas yourself xxx
Merry Christmas Cusp
Happy Christmas Cusp. May 2010 bring good things for you xx
Happy New year Cusp. I hope you and yours have a fabulous 2010.
xx.
crikey, i think i may be colourblind. I couldn't read this at all! My uncle found out he was colourblind when he tried to train as an electrician...the inevitable happened. Thankfully he's still with us.
Post a Comment