You know how yesterday I was worrying about all the stuff I had got rid of and what would happen next, well today I got a letter from an old neighbour saying that she had a friend who has written a children’s book and wants to find someone to illustrate it. Would I be interested ?
To be honest, I’m not sure. I’ve never done any illustration but I thought I may as well give it a go and phoned her.
She’s elderly and terribly enthusiastic ( I never use a computer dear, ..always stick to my trusty old Imperial ) but says she’s been let down by a friend who illustrates but just doesn’t seem to be working fast enough and
‘…I want this out and published by the end of the year …’
‘Have you found a publisher then ?...’
‘Well, no and I’m keeping it very close to my chest for the moment…’
‘Have you had anything published before ?’
‘Oh yes dear, my ‘History of Little Bumtwizell-on-Slite-‘ was a local triumph’
This conversation has made me a little nervous. For one thing I know nothing about illustration of children’s books and she wants to come and look at my work. What will she make of digital collages and work about dementia, birth, repositories and ill health ? None of it is really kiddy fodder, is it, and not in the style of little bunnies in bonnets either. Also, the stuff about her friend not working fast enough or with enough interest worries me. Will she sap what energy I have and all for nothing as she doesn’t really seem to have a publishing track record.
Maybe I’m being an miserable old bastard again. It is an opportunity ----- well, potentially anyway …………..
No comments:
Post a Comment