Friday, March 25, 2005

Good Friday

Good Friday here and I don’t imagine I’ll get much chance to attend to my blog much for the next two weeks ---children on holiday.

Whilst I have this opportunity, I thought I’d note down some of the children’s funny slip ups: at the moment my daughter is singing a new Easter hymn she has learnt at school. She’s only six and gets the words slightly wrong. I’ve no idea what the real words are ___ it’s one of those ghastly new trendy hymns but the mistake is priceless:

‘Jesus isn’t dead anymore
He’s alive and he is lurking………’

Sounds a bit spooky to me

I remember when she was three she wanted to buy something for my birthday. She had been discussing what I might like with her Mum and came to the conclusion that I would like a ice new big back scrubbing brush. She went with her Mum to buy same. She marched right up to the counter in Boots and said ‘Have you got any scrubbers for my dad’s birthday ?’
(I don’t know about other parts of the world, but here in UK ‘scrubbers’ can be a colloquial term for a woman of easy virtue so you can imagine the look of surprise on the assistant’s face)

My dad was a teacher and one of his favourite children’s slip ups was a boy who knew the hymn ‘Gladly the Cross I’d Bear’ but this boy thought the hymn wasn’t about Jesus carrying the weight of the cross but about a bear with a lazy eye !

No comments: