Sunday, June 03, 2007

Chickens

Another lighter post about creation --- well, chickens anyway. As I've said before, we keep chickens and every year the population boom comes round. We always seem to have very 'busy' cockerels so there are lots of chicks













Here's the Maternity Block a few week ago












Snowbell keeping things warm



































Cinnamon too





Soon the chicks are born and it's all hands on deck for the annual nursery fest: keeping the little perishers in check, teaching them how to peck at everything in sight in case it's edible, maintain the pecking order, dodging the guinea pigs and the dog and watching out for the rooks and the magpies and the cat from next door. Last year we lost three chicks to the rooks.




Mum and the kids having High Tea




















Dad and the other girls have tea outside





Take the chicks out for a quick walk before it's back inside for a quick story and bedtime. They usually like a quick read of Chicken Licken or something more cultural like 'A Tale of Two Chickies' by Charles Chickens.



3 comments:

Reading the Signs said...

This really takes me back - to a kibbutz in Israel, actually. I worked on the chicken farm for a while, collection the eggs. We had to do it at night because the hens were sleepier then. These chickens look much happier and more beautiful, though.

Cusp said...

Yes they are very happy chickens since we're veggie and there's no risk of them being eaten., and they have lots of space and scraps. Mind you, Cockerel No.1, as we call him, is about to be chucked out and given to a chap locally with 2 acres where he can roam and cause mayhem: Cockerel No.1, the brute, attacked one of our guinea pigs yesterday and killed it, poor little mite. Poor old Podge has gone to a better place where there's golden grass and all the nibbly food you can eat ;-(

singinghawk said...

Hello Cusp,

It's been a while since I last visited...many bloggers to try to keep up with!

I love the chickens! And I didn't know that Cockerels could be so nasty!

It must be nice living in the country...I can only dream.