Yesterday I received a letter from the wife of my father's work partner . My Dad died nearly 8 years ago although it seems like last week. I haven't seen his partner since my mother's funeral 3 years ago and yet the letter brought a sudden rush of unexpected sadness.
In many ways this feeling is inexplicable. I wasn't especially close to L (Dad's colleague) though I do have happy memories of big Xmas parties at his house with a big family gathering and being made to feel as if I was a part of it. As an only child, this annual celebration was a lovely thing for me and I really enjoyed seeing my parents enjoying themselves at such an occasion. We were a small, tight family unit (as families of only children often are) and such a crowd of people having fun in a domestic setting was a rare experience for me. My mother was also an only child too, with few other relatives, so our extended family was small anyway.
I suppose the sadness is about being an only child really. After the initial feeling, my next thought was 'I can't tell Mum & Dad'. It felt weird that they weren't there to share the news. Apart from working together for maybe 10 years, my father and L had been in the same 'work circles' for years, so my parents would have been sad to know of his death and there could have been some kind of conversation about L. and the parties and the holidays and the work etc.
As it is there's no one to talk to about it. (Well no-one who really knows about those experiences. As an only child with no cousins (no relatives apart from my partner and children) there's no one to talk to about it. When you're an only you really are alone for life. You can marry, have children, get on with and love your in-laws ( and I have and I do), have close friends, but you cannot share the memories of childhood, the funny family rituals in the same way because once your parents have gone, there's no one else who has quite the same connection.
This isn't meant to be maudlin but it can be a lonely road at poignant times like this and is a reminder of how much you miss the closeness of your own parents.
I thank the Lord that we were blessed and have two children who can share and support each other.

AN ONLY CHILD'S TEA-PARTY
When I go to tea with the little Smiths, there are eight of them there, but there's only one of me,
Which makes it not so easy to have a fancy tea-party as if there were two or three.
I had a tea-party on my birthday, but Joe Smith says it can't have been a regular one,
Because as to a tea-party with only one teacup and no teapot, sugar-basin, cream-jug, or slop-basin, he never heard of such a thing under the sun.
But it was a very big teacup, and quite full of milk and water, and, you see,
There wasn't anybody there who could really drink milk and water except Towser and me.
The dolls can only pretend, and then it washes the paint off their lips,
And what Charles the canary drinks isn't worth speaking of, for he takes such very small sips.
Joe says a kitchen-chair isn't a table; but it has got four legs and a top, so it would be if the back wasn't there;
And that does for Charles to perch on, and I have to put the Prince of Wales to lean against it, because his legs have no joints to sit on a chair.
That's the small doll. I call him the Prince of Wales because he's the eldest son, you see;
For I've taken him for my brother, and he was Mother's doll before I was born, so of course he is older than me.
Towser is my real live brother, but I don't think he's as old as the Prince of Wales;
He's a perfect darling, though he whisks everything over he comes near, and I tell him I don't know what we should do if we all had tails.
His hair curls like mine in front, and grows short like a lion behind, but no one need be frightened, for he's as good as good;
And as to roaring like a real menagerie lion, or eating people up, I don't believe he would if he could.
He has his tea out of the saucer after I've had mine out of the cup;
You see I am sure to leave some for him, but if I let him begin first he would drink it all up.
The big doll Godmamma gave me this birthday, and the chair she gave me the year before.
(I haven't many toys, but I take great care of them, and every birthday I shall have more and more.)
You've no idea what a beautiful doll she is, and when I pinch her in the middle, she can squeak;
It quite frightened Towser, for he didn't know that any of us but he and I and Charles were able to speak.
I've taken her for my only sister, for of course I may take anybody I choose;
I've called her Cinderella, because I'm so fond of the story, and because she's got real shoes.
don't feel so only now there are so many of us; for, counting Cinderella there are five,—She, and I, and Towser, and Charles, and the Prince of Wales—and three of us are really alive;
And four of us can speak, and I'm sure the Prince of Wales is wonderful for his size;
For his things (at least he's only got one thing) take off and on, and, though he's nothing but wood, he's got real glass eyes.
And perhaps in three birthdays more there may be as many of us as the Smiths, for five and three make eight;
I shall be seven years old then (as old as Joe), but I don't like to think too much of it, it's so long to wait.
And after all I don't know that I want any more of us: I think I'd rather my sister had a chairLike mine; and the next year I should like a collar for Towser if it wouldn't rub off his hair.
And it would be very nice if the Prince of Wales could be dressed like a Field-marshal, for he's got nothing on his legs;
And Cinderella's beautifully dressed, and Towser looks quite as if he'd got a fur coat on when he begs.
Joe says it's perfectly absurd, and that I can't take a Pomeranian in earnest for my brother;
But I don't think he really and truly knows how much Towser and I love each other.
I didn't like his saying, "Well, there's one thing about your lot,—you can always have your own way."
And then he says, "You can't possibly have fun with four people when you have to pretend what they say.
"But, whatever he says, I don't believe I shall ever enjoy a tea-party more than the one that we had on that day.
4 comments:
Is is absoulutely horrid being an orphan even at our age.
Although I am very priviledged to have a sister who I'm very close to, there is only us, and as you say, our children.
It is, I agee with you not being able talk/tell your parents anything anymore except in our heads horribe.
I hope your weekend is less sad, than you felt when you wrote this.
But if not, you know it will pass eventually.
Hugs px
Thanks Px. I'm not sad as such --- it was just a wave that rippled under me as I read the letter. However, the affects of being an only are never far away and as memories ebb and flow you're always aware that the earliest ones are in a kind of vacuum
awww.....Cusp...you bring tears to my eyes. I understand...I am not an only child, but my husband is and also did not have a father. His only family was his mother, who has been gone since he was 28. He is now 52. When she passed away, he was utterly devastated. At 28, he cried so hard and long that since then he has not ever cried again. There are times that he speaks of the same sense -- the utter aloneness...no sisters, brothers...to share and remember...to help him through difficult times in life. It is very sad and my heart goes out to both my husband and you, Cusp. But, I can tell you, that I live a very lonely life, too, and both parents are alive, as are my sister and brother. I have not seen my own "family" in many years. Sometimes, even with a "family," one is still very much alone...many dysfunctional families here in the USA.
Although friends cannot share in the memories of your childhood and your mother, father, and family friends, they can share with you in a way that might ease a little bit of the loneliness. I know for me, the people I have met through this computer screen, in bloggerville, have brought much love into my life...as your heartfelt words do. Thank you for sharing in such an intimate way. You are a sensitive soul and very special.
Here is a big hug for you, Cusp.
Love,
Ana
Sweet Ana, You are such a dear.
Your poor husband --- much worse off than me. One of my closest friends from college is an only who was brought up by her mother and grandmother. After her gran died, her mother died too unexpectedly at the age of 54 and my friend has never really recovered from the shock.
I am fortunate. I had two parents who loved me and loved each other dearly. I am thankful and grateful for that --- especially in this day and age when there seem to be so many broken marriages and broken families. Thankfully, we too have managed to create a strong family unit -- been together 25 years and our children are precious so now I have my own family. Without them I would have no family at all.
I hope my post didn't come across as maudlin or self-pitying. It wasn't meant to be: rather an opportunity to reflect on some of the issues which arise as an 'only'. There are, of course, many issues which arise around other family experiences.
I'm sorry your own family seem to be isolated from and to you: it is their loss. We all need to try to build bridges and maintain lines of communication. Sometimes our efforts are met with understanding and accomodation. Sometimes we meet a brick wall.
I know what you mean about the blog community. This, my latest attempt at blogging (I had a long sojourn!) has opened up onto a world of lovely and supportive virtual pals.
Love & hugs to you too my dear and your dear ones.
** I love your new photo. You look such a sweetie. Reminds me of my own daughter at age 5 going to a Halloween party and tottering down the road in some black high heel ankle boots we found to 'top off' her ghoulish witchy outfit !
Post a Comment