Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Painting



With judicious and careful pacing (see the need for same in the video link below !) I have managed to finally finish the painting commissioned by my brother-in-law. It's the first painting I've finished in a long time. I'm afraid it's not a very good photograph.


I was left to paint whatever I liked so I had to come up with something that summed them up as a couple and a family(this painting is to celebrate their 20th Wedding Anniversary). For all sorts of reasons I have based it on medieval and early Tudor paintings.


In case you're wondering, I do not have a screw loose and nor am I colour blind. My bro-in-law's wife's hair is green and has been for as long as I can remember and the bird on his shoulder is his parrot --except it is based on an image of a parrot in a medieval Bestiary --- so it looks rather extraordinary.

14 comments:

Maggie said...

Hey, that's gorgeous. Well done for getting it finished.

I'm back to the knitting now!

singinghawk said...

Cusp! This is beautiful! I am so hapy to finally see some of your artwork! I am still waiting to see the mermaid picture! I love this image...the medieval look and the floral border is really lovely. So is the window effect. Colors are beautiful, too. Does she really have green hair?! hahaha! she must be a fun woman! Thanks for showing!

Cusp said...

Oh Ana, Thanks so much for visiting and for saying good things about the painting. It *really* means a lot to me that you, in particular, think it's OK.

Yep, she really does have green hair and has had as long as I've known her since we were on Art Foundation together in 1979. Mind you since then I've had pink, magenta, blue, blonde, black and hennaed hair, while she's stuck to green ---it's her trademark! Now I have 'nature's highlights' --grey !

singinghawk said...

it's more than "okay!" I would love to see more of your work. And YOU must be a fun woman -- pink, magenta, blue?! hahaha!

Reading the Signs said...

This is just gorgeous, cusp. I "know" nothing about art, but have some paintings (handed down from mother-in-law) from the school of what is apparently called "Naive Art", and this looks to have some of those features. Aside from the picture itself, I love the other things on the side and the gargoyly creature at the top. You talented so-and-so.

Damn, I want green hair too now - but will probably stick to my combination of orangey/red, brown and grey, once scalp is in a condition for me to paint again.

Cusp said...

Well thank you kindly dear Signs ~~(I thought you were supposed to be lying down on your chaise longue eating damsons and reflecting on life ?!)

Anyroadup, I'm glad you like the painting. You don't have to 'know' about art --- you like/connect with something or you don't. I suppose it does have a certain naive charm. The gargoyle thing is actually a face with musical instruments either side and the little figures at the bottom are medieval musicians (because thats what my bro-in-law does --'musics') It's not a terribly good photo really.

It's very heartening to have nice comments on the work --- so long since I painted and quiet scary. Most of my work for the last 15+ years was digital and installation.

You can go back to that Writer's Chamber now and contemplate ...........sweet musings!

azirca said...

This is really beautiful, such talent! I wish that I could paint like this but sadly I lack the painting gene. What a wonderful gift anniversary gift, I'm sure they will treasure it.

Thank you so much for the lovely e-card, how thoughtful of you. I was really touched that you took the time to ask as to how I was, thank you :)
Yes it's been a while since I posted, I haven't ben all that well and haven't been feeling very creative of late. However I am feeling a little better and I have ventured back into my studio and I am working on a new piece right now. I'll be sure to post it once it's finished.

kind regards :)
azirca

Cusp said...

Thank you for your praise Azirca.

Sorry you've had a rough patch but glad to know you're feeling somewhat better and can get back to making again. I look forward to seeing the latest work

Warm smiles from a sunny Suffolk
:-)

Rabbit said...

You must feel such a great sense of achievement getting the painting done.
It’s such a wonderful feeling anyway but when pacing is involved…
I love the character of the medieval musicians. I once had green hair but it was by mistake so not very liberating!

Cusp said...

Thanks Rabbit --and thanks for dropping by and for adding me to your blog links.

Yes, there is a real sense of achievement after not painting for so long. I really did have to pace myself to do it. I could only work for about 45 minutes at a time once a day, so it has taken me ages. I'm really glad I did it though and that people seem to like it.

Funnily enough I've never had green hair --- accidentally or otherwise --- wouldn't suit me, but as I said, it is my Bro-in-law's wifes' trademark

seahorse said...

It's a beautiful painting cusp. I love its vibrancy.

Cusp said...

Welcome Seahorse. Thanks for dropping by and for your kind comments.

Amanda said...

Oh cusp! Well done! I love your painting and what a wonderful anniversary present! Even better though that you have felt up to finishing it and pulled off the delicate balancing act of pacing yourself! God that is so hard! Especially with creative pursuits - I always just want to dive in and usually end up regretting it. I am so happy for you!
Hugs!

Cusp said...

Hi Amanda. Thanks for coming over again and for your kind comments. It really means a lot coming from you.

You're right. Quite apart from whether the painting is any good the biggest sense of achievement comes from the fact that it is completed. Just finishing something properly feels good. The old 'condition' does tend to mean one needs even greater tenacity and you can end up with all sorts of half finished projects.

I have to say that the completion of the painting is partly because my bro-in-law asked me to do it and so I felt a real responsibility to him and his wife. I'm afraid I'm better at doing thigs for other people than for myself. I know there's a lesson in there !!


Thanks again Amanda :-). Al this support from my blogger chums really does make a difference.


(If anyone else reads this, you should go over to Amanda's 'pad' and se what she's been up to as well !)